Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jonas Berling 30 posts 50 karma points
    May 29, 2011 @ 21:56
    Jonas Berling

Can classic ASP and Umbraco co-exist?

I'm helping a friend to set up Umbraco for his company's internet site. I suspect that at some point we might end up with some specific functionallity (maybe a marketplace, integration with other systems or whatever) that will require me to create pages outside of Umbraco, pages that are more "function" than "content". I first thought that such a thing could be easily solved using my usual "weapon", classic ASP, creating pages that in no way have anything to do with the Umbraco pages, no more than being on the same web site. But after reading a couple of posts on this forum I get confused - can classic ASP pages co-exist with Umbraco on the same site (but of course not being managed by Umbraco)?

I understand that I might have to do some tampering with the web.config as seen in this thread, http://our.umbraco.org/forum/templating/templates-and-document-types/5241-Classic-ASP, but would that do the trick?

I'm certain that most problems can be solved using Umbraco but I know classic ASP pretty well and in some situations it would probably be easier for me to just use my old knowledge instead of digging around trying to learn something new. Eeehhw, that makes me sound old, but I hope you understand what I mean...

Regards,

Jonas

• Jesper Hauge 298 posts 487 karma points c-trib
    May 29, 2011 @ 23:41
    Jesper Hauge

Hi Jonas,

It should be possible - I know I've previously set up a website that was running both .aspx and .asp pages. Biggest problem in this website was getting the asp and the asp.net page to share session data, and the solution wasn't pretty as I remember it.

I'd highly recommend you ported your asp skills to asp.net user controls, it is possible to write asp.net user controls in much the same way as you write asp-pages, and it would save you some IIS and Umbraco configuration headaches.

Regards
    Jesper Hauge

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft