Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• James Telfer 65 posts 165 karma points
    May 31, 2011 @ 03:34
    James Telfer

umbraco/webservices/nodeSorter.asmx/js (et al) gives a 500 error

On a fresh 4.7.0 install (.NET 4.0, SQL Server, IIS 7.5) I am having a lot of issues displaying the admin section successfully. I have installed a wide range of umbraco versions on this machine in the past (including the 4.7 beta), so I'm perplexed that this one isn't working.

The errors that I get in the network trace are on the following ajax calls:

• /umbraco/webservices/nodeSorter.asmx/js
    • /umbraco/webservices/legacyAjaxCalls.asmx/js
    • /umbraco/webservices/TreeClientService.asmx/GetInitAppTreeData
    The stack trace of the error is:
    [ArgumentOutOfRangeException: startIndex cannot be larger than length of string.
    Parameter name: startIndex]
       System.String.InternalSubStringWithChecks(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length, Boolean fAlwaysCopy) +9389127
       System.Web.Compilation.DiskBuildResultCache.MarkAssemblyAndRelatedFilesForDeletion(String assemblyName) +60
       System.Web.Compilation.DiskBuildResultCache.CacheBuildResult(String cacheKey, BuildResult result, Int64 hashCode, DateTime utcStart) +8757144
       System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CacheBuildResultInternal(String cacheKey, BuildResult result, Int64 hashCode, DateTime utcStart) +79
       System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CompileWebFile(VirtualPath virtualPath) +8967299
       System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultInternal(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile, Boolean throwIfNotFound, Boolean ensureIsUpToDate) +320
       System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultWithNoAssert(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile, Boolean throwIfNotFound, Boolean ensureIsUpToDate) +111
       System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVirtualPathObjectFactory(VirtualPath virtualPath, HttpContext context, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean throwIfNotFound) +125
       System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetCompiledType(VirtualPath virtualPath) +10
       System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetCompiledType(String virtualPath) +28
       System.Web.Script.Services.WebServiceData.GetWebServiceData(HttpContext context, String virtualPath, Boolean failIfNoData, Boolean pageMethods, Boolean inlineScript) +146
       System.Web.Script.Services.WebServiceData.GetWebServiceData(HttpContext context, String virtualPath) +10
       System.Web.Script.Services.WebServiceClientProxyGenerator.GetClientProxyScript(HttpContext context) +66
       System.Web.Script.Services.RestClientProxyHandler.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) +21
       System.Web.Script.Services.HandlerWrapper.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) +13
       System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +100
       System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +75

I have no idea why this is, and Google isn't solving my problem for me :) Any assistance is appreciated, and if I find out the reason I'll post it here.

May 31, 2011 @ 06:25
    James Telfer

I'm pretty stuck on this.

I've tried deleting the ASP.NET temporary files, running it in IISExpress instead, and debugging the framework source. The exception occurs when it tries to apply a assemblyName.substring("ASP_Web_".Length()) call to an assemblyName value of "umbraco". Why, I don't know.

Next step: verify that an earlier version will still work.

May 31, 2011 @ 08:50
    James Telfer

Well, I've spent a lot more time on this, and I've got no idea.

I've tried ensuring that it was running in full trust (it was), using the RC and 4.6.1 with SQL CE (clean, with and without a starter pack). No joy. IIS or IIS Express doesn't make a difference (as you'd hope).

This is all occurring on a dev machine: VS2010 SP1, SQL Server Express 2008 R2, Windows 7 SP1.

In the time since I was using this machine actively to develop Umbraco sites, I've installed the MVC tools update and various operating system patches.

I don't understand how it's changed from working to non-working, but I'm beginning to think I'm going to have to do some reinstalling to rule out other possible problems. Next thing to try: configure a virtual machine to run .NET 4 & IIS Express with 4.7. This should work, and confirm my suspicion that the problem is my machine and not Umbraco.

All suggestions welcome.

Jun 01, 2011 @ 02:47
    James Telfer

A VM works with clean .NET 4, IIS 7.5, SQLCE and Umb 4.7.

I couldn't complete the install in IE8 (JS errors) so I used Chrome (this is more of a side note).

Now to look at tracking down what is happening with my machine...

Jun 13, 2011 @ 06:27
    James Telfer

Just to close this off; I couldn't work out why this was happening, or even which part of .NET was causing the error. I tried removing components but that got me nowhere. In the end I wiped my machine and reinstalled - drastic to be sure but I couldn't afford more time to go down the plug hole.

• Emma Garland 41 posts 123 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jun 24, 2011 @ 18:18
    Emma Garland

I had the exact same issue, all admin node tree icons invisible and  the same webservice errors appearing in the umbracoLog table:

I had been logged into Chrome and Firefox simultaneously, but logging out of Firefox didn't resolve anything.

It resolved itself after I did the following (probably not a fix but replicated for completeness):

I don't think exactly all of the above steps were needed, and it might have even resolved itself regardless. It could have been that I left the page and when I came back, something had timed out an erroneous login session.

Anyway, will post again if it happens again, or I work out why it happened.

• tatjana 3 posts 23 karma points
    Jul 29, 2011 @ 00:28
    tatjana

Same issue here: fresh install of umbraco; all panels in admin show up, but the left panel (tree view for content, settings, members, etc) is completely empty.

When checked with Fiddler, the following 404s come up:

404 HTTP  /umbraco/webservices/nodeSorter.asmx/js 1,245  text/html firefox:6052   
    404 HTTP  /umbraco/webservices/nodeSorter.asmx/js 1,245  text/html firefox:6052   
    404 HTTP  /umbraco/webservices/legacyAjaxCalls.asmx/js 1,245  text/html firefox:6052   
    404 HTTP  /umbraco/webservices/legacyAjaxCalls.asmx/js 1,245  text/html firefox:6052   
    404 HTTP  /umbraco/webservices/TreeClientService.asmx/GetInitAppTreeData 1,245  text/html firefox:6052   

(tried Emma's sequence from above - no luck)

• tatjana 3 posts 23 karma points
    Jul 29, 2011 @ 16:06
    tatjana

Got it fixed!

The issue is in configuration of specific IIS/server. In my case I had to explicitly specify the dll version for each type of handler, and it also turned out that some handlers are relying on 32, and others on 64 bit processing.

In original web.config:

<handlersaccessPolicy="Read, Write, Script, Execute">

<removename="WebServiceHandlerFactory-Integrated" />

<removename="ScriptHandlerFactory" />

<removename="ScriptHandlerFactoryAppServices" />

<removename="ScriptResource" />

<removename="Channels" />

<removename="Channels_Word" />

<removename="ClientDependency" />

<removename="SpellChecker" />

<addname="ScriptHandlerFactory"verb="*"path="*.asmx"preCondition="integratedMode"type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />

<addname="ScriptHandlerFactoryAppServices"verb="*"path="*_AppService.axd"preCondition="integratedMode"type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />

<addname="ScriptResource"verb="GET,HEAD"path="ScriptResource.axd"preCondition="integratedMode"type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptResourceHandler, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />

<addverb="*"name="Channels"preCondition="integratedMode"path="umbraco/channels.aspx"type="umbraco.presentation.channels.api, umbraco" />

<addverb="*"name="Channels_Word"preCondition="integratedMode"path="umbraco/channels/word.aspx"type="umbraco.presentation.channels.wordApi, umbraco" />

<addverb="*"name="ClientDependency"preCondition="integratedMode"path="DependencyHandler.axd"type="ClientDependency.Core.CompositeFiles.CompositeDependencyHandler, ClientDependency.Core " />

<addverb="GET,HEAD,POST"preCondition="integratedMode"name="SpellChecker"path="GoogleSpellChecker.ashx"type="umbraco.presentation.umbraco_client.tinymce3.plugins.spellchecker.GoogleSpellChecker,umbraco" />

</handlers>

In fixed web.config:

<handlersaccessPolicy="Read, Write, Script, Execute">

<removename="WebServiceHandlerFactory-Integrated" />

<removename="ScriptHandlerFactory" />

<removename="ScriptHandlerFactoryAppServices" />

<removename="ScriptResource" />

<removename="Channels" />

<removename="Channels_Word" />

<removename="ClientDependency" />

<removename="SpellChecker" />

<!--add name="ScriptHandlerFactory" verb="*" path="*.asmx" preCondition="integratedMode" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />

<add name="ScriptHandlerFactoryAppServices" verb="*" path="*_AppService.axd" preCondition="integratedMode" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />

<add name="ScriptResource" verb="GET,HEAD" path="ScriptResource.axd" preCondition="integratedMode" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptResourceHandler, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />

<add verb="*" name="Channels" preCondition="integratedMode" path="umbraco/channels.aspx" type="umbraco.presentation.channels.api, umbraco" />

<add verb="*" name="Channels_Word" preCondition="integratedMode" path="umbraco/channels/word.aspx" type="umbraco.presentation.channels.wordApi, umbraco" />

<add verb="*" name="ClientDependency" preCondition="integratedMode" path="DependencyHandler.axd" type="ClientDependency.Core.CompositeFiles.CompositeDependencyHandler, ClientDependency.Core " />

<add verb="GET,HEAD,POST" preCondition="integratedMode" name="SpellChecker" path="GoogleSpellChecker.ashx" type="umbraco.presentation.umbraco_client.tinymce3.plugins.spellchecker.GoogleSpellChecker,umbraco" / -->

<removename="ScriptHandlerFactory32" />

<removename="ScriptHandlerFactoryAppServices32" />

<removename="ScriptResource32" />

<removename="Channels32" />

<removename="Channels_Word32" />

<removename="ClientDependency32" />

<removename="SpellChecker32" />

<addname="ScriptHandlerFactoryAppServices32"scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\aspnet_isapi.dll"verb="*"path="*_AppService.axd"preCondition="integratedMode,runtimeVersionv4.0,bitness32"type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />

<addname="ScriptResource32"verb="GET,HEAD"scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\aspnet_isapi.dll"path="ScriptResource.axd"preCondition="integratedMode,runtimeVersionv4.0,bitness32"type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptResourceHandler, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />

<addverb="*"name="Channels32"scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\aspnet_isapi.dll"preCondition="integratedMode,runtimeVersionv4.0,bitness32"path="umbraco/channels.aspx"type="umbraco.presentation.channels.api, umbraco" />

<addverb="*"name="Channels_Word32"scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\aspnet_isapi.dll"preCondition="integratedMode,runtimeVersionv4.0,bitness32"path="umbraco/channels/word.aspx"type="umbraco.presentation.channels.wordApi, umbraco" />

<addverb="*"name="ClientDependency32"scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\aspnet_isapi.dll"preCondition="integratedMode,runtimeVersionv4.0,bitness32"path="DependencyHandler.axd"type="ClientDependency.Core.CompositeFiles.CompositeDependencyHandler, ClientDependency.Core " />

<addverb="GET,HEAD,POST"scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\aspnet_isapi.dll"preCondition="integratedMode,runtimeVersionv4.0,bitness32"name="SpellChecker32"path="GoogleSpellChecker.ashx"type="umbraco.presentation.umbraco_client.tinymce3.plugins.spellchecker.GoogleSpellChecker,umbraco" />

<removename="PageHandlerFactory-ISAPI-4.0_32bit" />

<removename="PageHandlerFactory-ISAPI-4.0_64bit" />

<removename="PageHandlerFactory-ISAPI-4.0_32bit_1" />

<removename="PageHandlerFactory-ISAPI-4.0_64bit_1" />

<removename="WebServiceHandlerFactory-ISAPI-4.0_32bit" />

<removename="WebServiceHandlerFactory-ISAPI-4.0_64bit" />

<removename="AshxHandlerFactory-ISAPI-4.0_32bit" />

<removename="AshxHandlerFactory-ISAPI-4.0_64bit" />

<addname="PageHandlerFactory-ISAPI-4.0_32bit"path="*.aspx"verb="*"modules="IsapiModule"scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\aspnet_isapi.dll"resourceType="Unspecified"preCondition="runtimeVersionv4.0,bitness32" />

<addname="PageHandlerFactory-ISAPI-4.0_64bit"path="*.aspx"verb="*"modules="IsapiModule"scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\aspnet_isapi.dll"resourceType="Unspecified"preCondition="runtimeVersionv4.0,bitness64" />

<addname="PageHandlerFactory-ISAPI-4.0_32bit_1"path="*.axd"verb="*"modules="IsapiModule"scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\aspnet_isapi.dll"resourceType="Unspecified"preCondition="runtimeVersionv4.0,bitness32" />

<addname="PageHandlerFactory-ISAPI-4.0_64bit_1"path="*.axd"verb="*"modules="IsapiModule"scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\aspnet_isapi.dll"resourceType="Unspecified"preCondition="runtimeVersionv4.0,bitness64" />

<addname="WebServiceHandlerFactory-ISAPI-4.0_32bit"path="*.asmx"verb="*"modules="IsapiModule"scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\aspnet_isapi.dll"resourceType="Unspecified"preCondition="runtimeVersionv4.0,bitness32" />

<addname="WebServiceHandlerFactory-ISAPI-4.0_64bit"path="*.asmx"verb="*"modules="IsapiModule"scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\aspnet_isapi.dll"resourceType="Unspecified"preCondition="runtimeVersionv4.0,bitness64" />

<addname="AshxHandlerFactory-ISAPI-4.0_32bit"path="*.ashx"verb="*"modules="IsapiModule"scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\aspnet_isapi.dll"resourceType="Unspecified"preCondition="runtimeVersionv4.0,bitness32" />

<addname="AshxHandlerFactory-ISAPI-4.0_64bit"path="*.ashx"verb="*"modules="IsapiModule"scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\aspnet_isapi.dll"resourceType="Unspecified"preCondition="runtimeVersionv4.0,bitness64" />

</handlers>

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft