Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Simon Wainwright 3 posts 23 karma points
    Jun 01, 2011 @ 14:21
    Simon Wainwright

Content Panel Empty on Hosted Site / ASP 4 and MSSQL

Hi, 

I have been playing around with Umbraco for a couple of weeks now, and i must say i think it is fantastic. I have been using it in conjunction with the webmatrix and have had no problems at all, until i have come to publish my test site to my web host, webhosting.uk.com. I used the in-built Publish functionality in webmatrix.

The site displays perfectly well, and i can log in to the Umbraco area without any problems, and the rest of the Umbraco dashboard displays fine, apart from the fact there is nothing in my Content area when i click on any of the sections in the bottom left hand corner. I briefly see a 'Loading...' message pop up but then nothing.

I have done searches for my particular problem over the last few days and all seem to point to permission problems or problems with MySQL db's, but i have set read/write permissions on the whole of the wwwroot folder to try to get it working and i still see nothing. I can connect to the database when running the site up on Localhost with the same connection settings and administer it without any problems, so i can't see it being a database problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Simon 

ps. i must add that i have been less than impressed with webhosting.uk.com over the last few weeks after about a year of using them, so if anyone has any advice for a better host i'll gladly take it on board.

Jun 01, 2011 @ 16:39
    Simon Wainwright

bit of extra info.

I've just checked the umbracoLog table, and the following is inserted into the table when i try to load the tree view:

logHeader: Error

logComment: At /umbraco/webservices/TreeClientService.asmx/GetInitAppTreeData 

Any ideas? I've tried removing lines in the web.config as sugested here and i have asked the hosts again to check permissions.

• Tony McBeth 8 posts 29 karma points
    Jun 14, 2011 @ 00:57
    Tony McBeth

Hi Simon,

have a look at this post http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/19233-umbracoUseDirectoryUrls-plus-legacyAjaxCallsasmxjs-plus-iis75?p=0

It seems you may be missing a few handler and module declarations from your web.config file.

Tony

• Steven Newstead 62 posts 103 karma points
    Jun 15, 2011 @ 10:04
    Steven Newstead

Please find two scenarios where I have seen this exact behaviour, I hope one of them helps:

I was implementing a single sign on solution (see here http://our.umbraco.org/forum/developers/extending-umbraco/21077-Custom-Backoffice-logging-in). I was basically seeing this after I logged a user in http://yfrog.com/h3ate9p

The solution I found was that as part of my development was that I had changed 

<authentication mode="Forms">

to 

<authentication mode="None">

In the web.config (as this was part of the single sign on instructions).

This allowed me to login but sent the treebuilder for the menus into a bit of a panic. I changed it back to <authentication mode="Forms"> and it works fine. So I'd check this is correct for you.

If this is not the solution then here is a second scenario where this has happened to a collegue

SQL Server was installed after the .NET framework and this did somethig to effect the Framework, he reinstalled the .net framework and it all started working again.

Jun 24, 2011 @ 11:40
    Simon Wainwright

Hi, 

Thanks very much for the replies. I have looked into all suggestions but still have no treeview. I've gone down the route of installing on a different domain too but even though i have asked the support team to look into the issue i still can't find a solution.

I think the upshot of all of this is that we need a new host anyway, so i'm currently in the middle of looking into Azure and a few other alternatives.

Simon

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft