Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• mark firth 32 posts 75 karma points
    Jun 12, 2011 @ 12:03
    mark firth

How does Umbraco work?

Hi,

First off I’m completely new to Umbraco - can I ask what is probably a stupid question but i can’t find any answers on Google.

How does Umbraco work?

Don’t get me wrong - i will be pouring over the source code but a quick overview would be very much appreciated.

So from the initial page request - what happens next?

I can see from what i have read Umbraco pulls data from an in-memory XML document - is this the whole site or is it just pages cached “as and when” they are requested? What's the whole XML document look like?

I see in the database that XML fragments (content) are held - how are these all munged together with the master page(s) at run time?

How does the XLST work? Does it work upon the in-memory XML document – transforms it into XHTML and inject into the Umbraco item place holder? How and when in the page life cycle does this happen?

Sorry for the basic “How” & “Why” questions.

Any explanation would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark – looking forward to my first Umbraco project!

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Jun 12, 2011 @ 15:40
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Mark,
    Do not know if this video can answer some of your questions. This video explains how information is stored in Umbraco, and how the XML is generated.

http://umbraco.com/help-and-support/video-tutorials/umbraco-fundamentals/xslt-in-umbraco-45/xml-schema-in-umbraco

Hope it can help you further and hope you'll love Umbraco as CMS.

/Dennis

• Tony McBeth 8 posts 29 karma points
    Jun 14, 2011 @ 00:33
    Tony McBeth

You can also see the cached XML document in the umbraco.config file located in the App_Data directory.

Hope this helps :)

Tony

• mark firth 32 posts 75 karma points
    Jun 20, 2011 @ 11:48
    mark firth

thanks - sorry for the late reply  - thats a good start.

Cheers,

Mark.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft