Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• MHH311 23 posts 43 karma points
    Jun 15, 2011 @ 04:44
    MHH311

.Net integration questions

I am an experienced sql/.net developer but am new to Umbraco and am building my first site integrating the two. I am trying to figure out the best method to build the following functionality for my Umbraco web site. I've done a good bit of research but haven't quite found what I am looking for. Any help, advice, or direction would be appreciated:

1. General integration: I understand (somewhat) that I can build custom controls in .Net and use a macro to integrate them into my web site. For all my .Net config file settings, do I just merge those into the Umbraco web.config?  
    2. Generating/displaying client reports:   do I just need to build a report control in .NET and add that to a Macro in Umbraco?
    3. Custom Data Tables and integration:  I know I have access to the Umbraco database. Do I just add any extra tables that my .Net controls rely upon for Business logic to the Umbraco database?
    4. Is there a Session concept in Umbraco? Or perhaps are their APIs to access in .Net to know who is logged in our other session type stuff a control would need to know?

I hope all my questions are clear. There are a ton of resources on this web site and I have enjoyed learning umbraco but have had a hard time getting the basic integration steps with Umbraco and .NET down. Thanks in advance.

• jaygreasley 416 posts 403 karma points
    Jun 15, 2011 @ 11:42
    jaygreasley

Hi there,

1. General integration: I understand (somewhat) that I can build custom controls in .Net and use a macro to integrate them into my web site. For all my .Net config file settings, do I just merge those into the Umbraco web.config?  
    2. yes, I have done this (example using a GAC registered assembly)
    3. Generating/displaying client reports:   do I just need to build a report control in .NET and add that to a Macro in Umbraco? 
    4. That is how I would do it, there are other ways (sql from xslt etc)
    5. Custom Data Tables and integration:  I know I have access to the Umbraco database. Do I just add any extra tables that my .Net controls rely upon for Business logic to the Umbraco database?
    6. Personally I would keep the tables in a separate database for portability.
    7. Is there a Session concept in Umbraco? Or perhaps are their APIs to access in .Net to know who is logged in our other session type stuff a control would need to know?
    8. Umbraco can use the standard .net membership api for Members and you have access to this through the Umbraco API (currentuser etc)
    9. hth
    10. Jay
  • MHH311 23 posts 43 karma points
    Jun 17, 2011 @ 19:16
    MHH311

Thanks Jay. I was able to prove a couple of the concepts above merging web.config stuff and adding my own DB connection string to the config so it seems like I am on the right track (with your help of course) Thanks.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft