Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Daniel Harris 33 posts 94 karma points
    Jun 17, 2011 @ 14:54
    Daniel Harris

Migrating Umbraco to clients server, and hosting recommendations for my US based client?

Hi,

I am developing a site for a client, currently on my own server.

I have been asked to recommend a hosting company to my client, who is in the US, the site is US based (I am in the UK).

In terms of bandwidth and space, the requirements won't be anything too crazy at all, but I want one that will make it as easy as possible to move the umbraco site over to her server.

As far as I am aware moving it should simply involve:

- Copy Database from my server to new server
    - Install Umbraco on new server (Pointing to the server SQL DB I move over)
    - Copy over any usercontrols, masterpages, xslt files
    - Install any community packages such as Google Maps Data Type

Other than that, things like page content, users and permissions, configuration of macros, data types and Document types, Templates etc are stored in the DB, so as long as things are copied over with the same name etc, everything will be fine?

I'm hoping somebody can recommend a hosting provider with decent prices, and that I can be assured Umbraco will run well on.

Also if you see any problems with my migration plan above please let me know.

I will probably also suggest to the client using my hosting services, but whilst I have a good server, I can't compete with "Unlimited" bandwidth or "Unlimited" storage space offers, plus my server is in the UK, and having it in the US may be best for a US site.

Thanks,

Dan

• Daniel Bardi 927 posts 2562 karma points
    Jun 18, 2011 @ 09:33
    Daniel Bardi

I use Arvixe and never had an issue moving a local install to them... Just create a blank database on there system and restore a SQL .bak file to the database... Then copy your site and set permisions (and change web.config to new database)... works all the time.

They have a great price scale aswell... http://www.arvixe.com/452.html

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft