Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• AlexT 1 post 21 karma points
    Jun 21, 2011 @ 10:44
    AlexT

Cloning a site from a production server

I currently have a couple of sites running Umbraco and I'd like to get them running locally so that changes are much easier to make without destroying the site. I'm still quite new to ASP.NET and SQL Server so I'm not too sure on how I would export a website and place it elsewhere on another machine. One of our old sysadmins was able to do this effortlessly within the space of ten minutes, so hopefully it won't be too hard for me to do this.

So, if I have a production website how would I clone it and get it on a Umbraco install on my computer or a test server?

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Jun 21, 2011 @ 10:58
    Dirk De Grave

AlexT,

Quite easy: make a backup of your production umbraco db and root folder of the site, restore db on your local machine's sql server, point iis to the folder of your local copy of the site and you're set. Always good to republish the entire site using /umbraco/dialogs/republish.aspx?xml=true (it shouldn't be required, but in case the site doesn't fire up nicely, this is the way to go)

Hope this helps.

Regards,

/Dirk

• Pedro 3 posts 23 karma points
    Jan 28, 2013 @ 09:31
    Pedro

Hi,

You also need to copy the Media folder from Production to the destination environment.

Regards

Pedro

• Brendan Rice 538 posts 1101 karma points
    Jan 28, 2013 @ 23:58
    Brendan Rice

Darren Ferguson has an excellent package for backing up websites & database and restoring them, Dirk has pretty much explained what the scripts in the package do, you can find it at:

http://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/nant-backup-and-restore

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft