Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Peter Nielsen 159 posts 257 karma points
    Jun 23, 2011 @ 10:19
    Peter Nielsen

Update from ver 4.0.3 (.NET v. 2.0) to 4.7 (.NET v. 4.0)

Hi,

I am trying to move my Umbraco site from a .NET 2.0 server. The Umbraco ver. is a 4.0.3 and runs perfectly, but now I want to move it no another server running .NET 4.0.

I just tried to move the whole solution. FTP'ed all the files, and restored the DB to the new MS SQL server, but it doesnt seem to work just by moving it all. So I thought i maybe should try to Upgrade the Umbraco version to the newest instead (maybe the Umbraco 4.0.3 cant run on .NET 4!?)

But I dont know how to do that? I can see from my old site compared to a new Umbraco installation that there is a couple more tables in the database (As I remeber its cmsPreview among others)

So does anybody know how to move or upgrade from this version?! :-)

Thank

/Peter

• Steen Tøttrup 191 posts 291 karma points c-trib
    Jun 23, 2011 @ 10:24
    Steen Tøttrup

You should let the site run on .NET 2 on the new server, and set it up accordingly (Managed Pipeline mode: Classic etc). When you get it working, you can start the upgrade process.

Well, that's what I would do anyway.

regards, Steen

Jun 23, 2011 @ 10:27
    Peter Nielsen

Okay... But can the newest versions run on a .NET 2.0 ? ... Or should i just let et run on a 4.0.3 ?

Jun 23, 2011 @ 10:41
    Steen Tøttrup

The latest version run on .NET 4, I was just talking about getting the site working on the new server, and then you can upgrade it (that includes switching the site in the IIS to .NET 4).

It's just a lot easier if you've had the site running first, then any issue you'll get probably has to do with the upgrade. It's never easy trying to give advice when you're not really sure how the site is configured on the server etc.

Jun 23, 2011 @ 11:23
    Peter Nielsen

Yeah maybe you are right :-) I'll try to change the .NET version instead.. But what can i do after that if i want to upgrade the version? :-)

Jun 23, 2011 @ 11:29
    Steen Tøttrup

I think I've upgrade an Umbraco site once, so maybe somebody else should give advice on this..

But, I think you'll need to unpack the new version on top of the running site, and in this case, change the .NET version of the site, and then Umbraco should spot that you need to do an upgrade.

But try doing a search in the wiki...

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft