Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Julien Grossrieder 1 post 21 karma points
    Jun 24, 2011 @ 10:08
    Julien Grossrieder

Validation of viewstate MAC failed

Hi,

I'm trying to install the Umbraco CMS on winhost.

But now I'm stuck by this error:

Server Error in '/umbraco' Application.    

Validation of viewstate MAC failed. If this application is hosted by a Web Farm or cluster, ensure that <machineKey> configuration specifies the same validationKey and validation algorithm. AutoGenerate cannot be used in a cluster.    

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Validation of viewstate MAC failed. If this application is hosted by a Web Farm or cluster, ensure that <machineKey> configuration specifies the same validationKey and validation algorithm. AutoGenerate cannot be used in a cluster.

Source Error:  

[No relevant source lines]

Source File: c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files\umbraco\cc3d4309\fb238499\App_Web_default.aspx.c29b009d.byq0xkkk.0.cs    Line: 0 

Stack Trace: 

[ViewStateException: Invalid viewstate. 

Client IP: 178.83.189.35

Port: 14508

Referer: http://xyz.com/umbraco/install/?installStep=skinning

Path: /umbraco/install/default.aspx

User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/12.0.742.100 Safari/534.30

ViewState: /wEPDwUKLTcxODU4NjUzM2RkR1rzBQVkNja8THKzTzvCXCcCS78rMF9PoGXP20UinmE=]

[HttpException (0x80004005): Validation of viewstate MAC failed. If this application is hosted by a Web Farm or cluster, ensure that <machineKey> configuration specifies the same validationKey and validation algorithm. AutoGenerate cannot be used in a cluster.]

System.Web.UI.ViewStateException.ThrowError(Exception inner, String persistedState, String errorPageMessage, Boolean macValidationError) +198

System.Web.UI.ViewStateException.ThrowMacValidationError(Exception inner, String persistedState) +14

System.Web.UI.ObjectStateFormatter.Deserialize(String inputString) +274

System.Web.UI.ObjectStateFormatter.System.Web.UI.IStateFormatter.Deserialize(String serializedState) +4

System.Web.UI.Util.DeserializeWithAssert(IStateFormatter formatter, String serializedState) +37

System.Web.UI.HiddenFieldPageStatePersister.Load() +241

System.Web.UI.Page.LoadPageStateFromPersistenceMedium() +106

System.Web.UI.Page.LoadAllState() +43

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +8431

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +253

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest() +78

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext context) +21

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) +49

ASP.install_default_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) in c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files\umbraco\cc3d4309\fb238499\App_Web_default.aspx.c29b009d.byq0xkkk.0.cs:0

System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +100

System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +75

I've already searched a lot but nothing helped me.

This problem happen when I'm installing a starter kit.

I tried to add a key ( http://aspnetresources.com/tools/machineKey ), or directly from the remote server manager, nothing...

Here is what I've for now:

<system.web>   <machineKey validationKey="A986F0CF883AF2DC5DD1C7DE9D82E3B07EFE18E7A72BF58C30AB99BDA02C381978B9FB2EAEC0703ED68BC9836047C928F9512259F9ECF0EE2BDC1FA177F0D811" decryptionKey="3597DA4CBF756C65721F81BBE6AE272D3C726F8E73905D6489E3F14851048DA6" validation="SHA1" decryption="AES" />

<trust level="Full" />

<customErrors mode="Off" /> ....

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10091 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jun 24, 2011 @ 10:56
    Ismail Mayat

Julian,

It may be something to do with <trust level="Full" /> not 100% sure try changing it to medium?

Regards

Ismail

• Rudi Moritz 8 posts 28 karma points
    Jul 06, 2011 @ 03:28
    Rudi Moritz

I suddenly get this error after extending my usercontrol by two dropdownlists (plus some other controls) on postback, each time I select a different option.

Ismail, it would be great to limit suggestions to something you have experience with, not answering for the sake of getting your number of answers up. Setting the trust level to medium doesn't even allow me to log into Umbraco anymore.

[Update]

I continued searching, and found the solution to my problem here: http://forums.asp.net/t/955145.aspx/2/10 ... joteke's tip did the trick for me, i.e. modifying Web.config this way:

<pages validateRequest="false" enableEventValidation="false" viewStateEncryptionMode ="Never" />

Rudi

• Richard Soeteman 4045 posts 12898 karma points MVP 2x
    Jul 06, 2011 @ 08:56
    Richard Soeteman

Hi,

Had the same issue on a hoster. The issue was related to memory consumption. The app_pool was restricted to a certain amount of MB to be used. Then when you consume more memory, the AppPool recycled and you get this error. The hoster increased the memory limit for the apppool and the error was gone.

Hope this helps you,

Cheers,

Richard

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft