Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jeff Gilbert 6 posts 26 karma points
    Jun 24, 2011 @ 18:23
    Jeff Gilbert

Stuck on Step 1

Hello, everyone. We attempted to upgrade to the current version of Umbraco, and are stuck at Step 1. Clicking "Let's get started" just refreshes the page. Anything I should try? Thanks in advance.

Jeff...

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Jun 24, 2011 @ 19:21
    Rich Green

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to the forum.

The more information you post the more helpful the response will be.

Which version of Umbraco are you trying to upgrade from? 

What steps have you taken prior to getting "let's get started" page?

Rich

Jun 24, 2011 @ 19:32
    Jeff Gilbert

HI, thanks so much for your reply.

I'm actually not sure which version I was on previously? Is there a way I can check that in the config file?

Steps taken - I modified new web.config file with the database information, cleared out the current database and uploaded all new files into it. Aside from the .NET 2 to .NET 4 issue which I resolved, it worked great, except that I'm stuck at Step 1 :)

Jun 24, 2011 @ 19:38
    Rich Green

Hey Jeff,

I'm not sure what you mean about 'cleared out the current database' the upgrade scripts deal with any db changes.

If you can still login, then go to the back end and click 'About' it should tell you what version you are on, or it's in the web.config file.

Rich

Jun 24, 2011 @ 19:41
    Jeff Gilbert

Ooops, my fault. I meant cleared out the current files. Can't login, unfortunately. I ignored basically every warning that said otherwise :) and upgraded the live website. Not too big a of a deal that we're down currently, but I would like to get it up quickly if possible. umbracoConfigurationStatus reads 4.0.0

Jun 24, 2011 @ 19:48
    Rich Green

Hey Jeff,

Ok, in my humble opinion you should try to get back to where you were and get your site up and running again, then you can work out what version you're on and what's running on your site.

If you are on any site pre 4.5 (do you know when the site was developed?) then you are going to have to tweak a few things to get it working under 4.7.

There was no 4.0.0 version as far as I know.

Some umbraco upgrades are straight forward (for minor versions) however alot take some tweaking and testing.

Do you think it's possible to restore your files?

Rich

Jun 24, 2011 @ 20:17
    Jeff Gilbert

I'm pretty sure it's pre-4.5. This is the first upgrade I've done since I installed it more than a year ago - might be closer to 2 years ago. I'm working on getting the prior site up. Is there a published list of changes I need to make to upgrade a pre-4.5 install?

Jun 24, 2011 @ 20:24
    Jeff Gilbert

Here we go. From About:

umbraco v 4.0.0 (Assembly version: 1.0.3327.20280)

Jun 24, 2011 @ 20:39
    Rich Green

Great, so you're up and running again?

Now would be a good time to back up your database and site of you haven't already done so. 

Can you get the site running locally on your machine, or at least on another URL? (by making a copy of the site)

As far as your upgrade process goes upgrading to 4.0.4.2 should be a breeze, however >=4.5 some packages have two versions, as there were breaking changes in 4.5. Also 4.5 and above has a new XML structure, so you'll need to set a value in the web.config to use the legacy xml schema

If you look in the Developer - Packages section, can you see which packages you are using?  (some info here http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/packaging/umbraco-45-compatibility)

Rich

Jul 01, 2011 @ 20:16
    Jeff Gilbert

I am up and running again. Packages are just runway and umbraco Utilities for 2.1. Everything was backed up, we just had difficulty getting everything restored to normal again. Now that we're functioning properly, we'd like to move forward with the upgrade if possible. Thanks for your help.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft