Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ayo Adesina 442 posts 1035 karma points
    Jun 27, 2011 @ 14:31
    Ayo Adesina

Starter Kits

I have installed umbrco and its working fine...lovey. But I can't install any starter kits this is the error that I have

Oops...the installer can't connect to the repository

I have an internet connection, I am using it to post this....any one got any ideas

• Alex Burr 77 posts 128 karma points
    Jun 27, 2011 @ 16:51
    Alex Burr

One thing to check is whether the Identity of the Application Pool is the same as the user that is given the permissions on the folder. I just had that same problem on my install and somehow figured out that was the cause: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/21595-Developer-Packages-Install-Starter-Kit-missing-(470)

On IIS 7 this is found under Application Pool > Advanced Settings > Process Model > Identity

Jun 30, 2011 @ 15:05
    Ayo Adesina

Thanks, when I put it on a live server it worked...Ill have a look at your suggestion.

Jul 03, 2011 @ 23:48
    Ayo Adesina

Now basicly I am still having this problem on my local machine very very fustrating..... IIS 7 fresh install... why can't I access the starter kits...

this must be a comman issue..I can't find the answer 3 hours later!

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Jul 03, 2011 @ 23:51
    Rich Green

Hey Ayo,

Sorry to say but I don't get this problem, I don't think it's an IIS setting, but it must be specific to your setup somehow.

Using Windows 7 I just install Umbraco through the Web Platform Installer, go through the steps and all the starter kits are available.

Did you use the Web Platform Installer?

Rich

Jul 04, 2011 @ 00:09
    Ayo Adesina

No, thats the point, it works fine using the platform installer, but I don't want to use that.

but I downloaded the binaries and set umbrco up using iis

Download umbrco set up a new site in IIS copy the files over, run through the installation steps and I am SURE you will get the same problem.

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Jul 04, 2011 @ 00:16
    Rich Green

Then it's most likely a permissions problem, have you double checked your permissions?

Rich

Jul 04, 2011 @ 00:41
    Ayo Adesina

THIS IS THE SOLUTION.

I have just solved this problem, and it was a permissions related issue. The umbrco installation intructions don't tell you, when installing binaries you need to modify your permissions for: C:\Windows\Temp and allow Network and Network service full access to these folders.

When using the webmatrix to install umbrco you will not have these problems, this is becuase this is all taken care of behind the sences, this should be made clear in the intructions how ever its not.

I have nothing against using the webinstaller but we should all try and understand what is going on under the hood.

Problem sovled, thanks guys.

By the way: If you install umbrco on to a live web server you most probably wont get this kind of problem this is becuase all these settings are already inplace. if you are running win 7 iis7 and install umbrco manually this is the solution.

• Grant Sparks 1 post 21 karma points
    Jun 20, 2012 @ 05:08
    Grant Sparks

I had the same problem but after correctly setting permissions on both the umbraco and temp directories the problem still occurred.

It turns out to be some sort of weird interplay between dotnet and our corporate transparent proxy server.  Adding the following settings to web.config fixed it for me.

<system.net>
        <settings>
          <servicePointManager expect100Continue="false" />
        </settings>
      </system.net>

--GMS

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft