Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• aaronb 97 posts 116 karma points
    Jun 29, 2011 @ 14:44
    aaronb

4.7 "database connection initialisation failed"

After removing a 4.6 installation and it's database from my shared hosting account (softsys), I'm now trying to perform a clean install of 4.7. I've got everything copied, set up my database and user, and updated the connection string in the web.config.

However, it fails on step 3. All the information that gets prepopulated into the form looks correct, but when I hit 'install' it waits about two seconds then gives me a message "database connection initialisation failed".

I searched, but all I really found was a question relating to 4.7 beta to which the resolution was 'create the database manually'.

I would really appreciate any ideas or suggestions on where to start looking, I'm very much a beginner when it comes to the server side stuff.

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Jun 29, 2011 @ 15:06
    Rich Green

Hey,

Sorry to point out the obvious, but it seems like your database connection string, can you verify it's correct?

Rich

• Brad Hunt 26 posts 57 karma points
    Jun 29, 2011 @ 16:20
    Jun 29, 2011 @ 17:08
    aaronb

Using sql 2k8.

Tech support also said I'm using the wrong connection string, but the sample they provided me with does not match the one in the umbraco web.config - it is the same except for it uses "Uid" instead of "user id"

this is the one I edited:

• Rory 59 posts 84 karma points
    Jun 29, 2011 @ 18:28
    Rory

I had this problem a few hours ago. Fixed it by adding "NETWORK SERVICE" in permissions for /build folder. Gave it all permissions except Full Control and Special. You don't need to edit the web.config. Just set up the blank db in MSSQL, give it a user login (I gave mine dbreader, dbwriter, dbowner). Then run the installer again.

Hope this solves it for you?
    Rory

Jun 29, 2011 @ 18:48
    aaronb

This may be a really stupid question, but are SQL server passwords allowed to begin with a number?

I replaced my password with a different one (that started with a letter and was a bit shorter) and it found and installed the database just fine.

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Jun 29, 2011 @ 19:01
    Rich Green

I'd be shocked if SQL Server didn't allow for numbers at the start, end or all the way through.

Glad you got it working!

Rich

Jun 29, 2011 @ 19:11
    aaronb

I just wish I knew why!

thanks for the help guys.

• Max Mumford 266 posts 293 karma points
    Jul 04, 2011 @ 16:44
    Max Mumford

For other people's reference, fixing folder perms fixed this issue for me.

• Mark Radford 7 posts 30 karma points
    Jul 11, 2011 @ 16:22
    Mark Radford

Again, for other people's reference, I was getting this error but it turned out to be a permissions issue.  Specifically, I gave modify permissions to the Network Service user for the App_Data folder and the web.config file.

I can't help but wonder if the error message is a little misleading - it seems that storing the connection settings is the problem, not initialising a connection.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft