Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Raymond 4 posts 24 karma points
    Jul 01, 2011 @ 11:40
    Raymond

External Database

Hi folks,

Trying to install umbraco for the first time and have a bit of bother with databases.

In our set up we have a separate database and webserver.  Problem is I can't get the connection to work using the IP of the database server in the installer.

Is this setup possible with Umbraco and do I need to do anything apart from putting in the database server IP and the logon details?

Cheers

Raymond

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Jul 01, 2011 @ 11:50
    Rich Green

Hey Raymond,

Welcome to the forum!

If you are having problems with the connection string in the installer, you can try and place it manually in the web.config file here

<appSettings>

<add key="umbracoDbDSN" value="" />

The connection string is the same as it would be for any .NET web project, so it doesn't matter if it's on the same or remote server, just as long as the connection string is working.

Rich

• Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    Jul 01, 2011 @ 21:10
    Tim

What @Rich said, plus, check that you can connect to the DB server from the other server using the IP address in say SQL Management Studio (if you have it on the web box) that way you'll get a detailed error message if there's something wrong (like the username/password is wrong for example).

Also, double check that the connection details are correct. Is the installer giving you an error message at all?

• jaygreasley 416 posts 403 karma points
    Jul 01, 2011 @ 21:32
    jaygreasley

the SQL Server may have not been configured to allow remote connections.

• Raymond 4 posts 24 karma points
    Jul 04, 2011 @ 10:12
    Raymond

Hay folks,

Thanks for the replies.

I started the setup again and corrected the file permissions (which I didn't do properly the first time round) and the IP worked fine.  Silly mistake it looks like.

Thanks

Raymond

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft