Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Soeren Sprogoe 575 posts 259 karma points
    Jul 05, 2011 @ 10:47
    Soeren Sprogoe

Upgrading from 3.0.5 to 4.7. Or rather, doing an export/import

Hi everyone,

I've decided that one of my summer projects is to upgrade my old v3.0.5 blog to the latest v4.7.0.

But instead of taking the long path of doing an actual upgrade (as far as I recall I need to upgrade to latest v3 first, then to v4.0, then to v4.7), I'm considering doing a clean v4.7 install and import all my content and media into it. So I get an as-clean-as-possible install as I can.

But how do I export all the old content and media files, and import them again into the new install? As far as I can tell, neither CMSImport or Courier works with such an old version of Umbraco. Or am I mistaken?

Best regards,
    Soeren Sprogoe

• Claushingebjerg 936 posts 2571 karma points
    Sep 11, 2011 @ 17:34
    Claushingebjerg

+1 on this one. I have a client site, and probably more coming, where i need to do this. 

But how.

Any help appreciated

• Soeren Sprogoe 575 posts 259 karma points
    Sep 12, 2011 @ 10:21
    Soeren Sprogoe

Here's what I did.

I tried making a new install and move the content from the old to the new via packages. But after a while I realized that Media items can't be transfered this way, thus I would have to recreate all Media items in the new install and run through all content and correct all the images.

So after wasting some time on that, I started from scratch again and took the long route. Here's  brief explanation of what I did:

1. First I upgraded to the latest 3.0.6
    2. Then I upgraded to the latest 4.0.x
      Note that I deleted the original web.config and started with the one that comes with 4.0.x. This may require some fiddling around.
      Don't pay any attention to the fact that the site most likely doesn't work after upgrading. You just want the backend up and running, and all content, media, templates, macros etc. to be present.
    3. Next I upgraded to 4.7.0. Again with the new web.config, except for the connection string. Remember that you need to switch your app pool / IIS to run under .NET 4.0. And again, ignore that the site doesn't work. Just make sure that the backend does, and that you have all your content.
      Now comes the big part.
    4. Go through all templates and correct them to the new format.
    5. Go through all macros and edit them to the new XML format.

That's it, as far as I can remember. But it takes a lot of time, especially if you are not that used with the newest template standard and XML format.

One note: If you are using tags then it seems like they are not migrated when upgrading. Not sure why, could be because they (used to?) use their own database tables.

/Søren Sprogø

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft