Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mikael Mørup 297 posts 326 karma points
    Jul 06, 2011 @ 08:42
    Mikael Mørup

4.7 "problems"

Hi all

I have been away from Umbraco for a while, and have not worked with the newer versions (from 4.5 up).

I just installed (after MANY problems) 4.7 on windows 7 / sql svr 2008.

The first thing that strikes me is this whole webmatrix thing, my site is not in Inetpub where it used to be and it looks like i can only acces via webmatrix.  Sorry to sound like an idiot, but can anyone please explain the what's and why's of this?

Next problem, i installed the uComponents package, but now i can not create new data types. If i create a new data type it appear in the list, but the right side window where you set rendercontrol and other settings just remains blank. This is also true if i just select one of the existing data types.

Is there something i can read about the newer versions that would make life easier for me?

Thanks

Mikael

• Rajeev 126 posts 154 karma points
    Jul 06, 2011 @ 09:24
    Rajeev

Webmatrix runs its own webserver, i.e, IIS Express.

Try the manual install following the steps mentioned in the URL.

http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/how-to-install-umbraco-on-windows-server-2008

Hope this will help.

-Rajeev

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Jul 06, 2011 @ 09:32
    Rich Green

Hey Mikael,

4.7 is an fantastic release so it's a shame you're having problems.

You can always install Umbraco without WebMatrix as Rajeev as suggested, the easiest way is via the Web Platform Installer, you get the option to use IIS Express or the full version.

What version of uComponents did you install? It's the most popular package for Umbraco so obviously not every is having this issue, can you post a screen shot of your issue?

Rich

• Mikael Mørup 297 posts 326 karma points
    Jul 06, 2011 @ 09:39
    Mikael Mørup

Thanks

I have no doubts that 4.7 is amazing, i'm just totally confused about all the new stuff.

And i can not get my head around webmatrix, i simply don't understand why i wold want it. What does it give me that Umbraco doesent have?

Why would i want yet another web development tool just to acces my Umbraco site?

I think i fixed the uComponents problem by uninstalling and reinstalling the package. It does look like it has a million cool things.

I did use the platform installer but i did not get any choise to not use webmatrix. The only thing i could choose was sql server or sqlserver CE.

Mikael

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Jul 06, 2011 @ 09:46
    Rich Green

Hey Mikael,

You can choose not to use Webmatrix by clicking 'Options' which gives you the following screen

WebMatrix is just a different way to develop with Umbraco, some devs work only in the browser, some in Web Matrix, some in Visual Studio and I'm sure plently of other environments too, it's just down to preference.

There's a quick overview of developing Umbraco withing WebMatrix here if you're interested http://umbraco.com/help-and-support/video-tutorials/getting-started/working-with-webmatrix

Best of luck

Rich

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft