Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dan 1288 posts 3921 karma points c-trib
    Jul 07, 2011 @ 10:28
    Dan

SQL CE version issues

Hi,

I wondered if anyone else had issues with SQL CE versions and SQL Server Management Studio Express 2008 R2.  Specifically, I'm creating a blank Umbraco installation on 4.7.0 using SQL CE as the data source.  If I then try to open that database file via Management Studio it errors saying:

This is not a valid SQL Server Compact Database file or this file version is not supported by current SQL Server Compact Engine.  (SQL Server Compact ADO.NET Data Provider)

This isn't even really my issue, but it's very much related.  My actual issue is that I need to convert a SQL Server 2008 R2 Express database to run on SQL CE.  I've done this via the tool here: http://erikej.blogspot.com/2010/02/how-to-use-exportsqlce-to-migrate-from.html but when I create a SQL CE file through Management Studio and populate it with the data from the script output by that tool (which all works fine) Umbraco errors because the SQL CE version isn't supported.

So basically it seems that there's a compatability issue both ways between what Management Studio creates as a SQL CE file and what Umbraco uses/creates as a SQL CE file.

I've checked and I definitely have SQL CE 4 installed on my machine.  To the best of my knowledge Umbraco uses SQL CE 4 too, so I'm not sure why the files aren't compatible between Umbraco and Management Studio.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

• Dan 1288 posts 3921 karma points c-trib
    Jul 07, 2011 @ 11:38
    Dan

Apparently the issue is that none of the latest DB admin tools (Management Studio, Visual Studio) are compatible with SQL CE 4.  Clearly this makes things a bit difficult!

The tools here: http://erikej.blogspot.com/2010/02/how-to-use-exportsqlce-to-migrate-from.html seem to be the best way to administer SQL CE 4 databases.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft