Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tim 1 post 21 karma points
    Jul 13, 2011 @ 18:25
    Tim

Running source code

I've downloaded the source code for Umbraco started it in visual studio and now I just get a login screen. Trying to access the install directory seems to also result in the loging screen. Obviously as it hasn't set a db up yet there will be no login, so where am I meant to go from this point? Set up an installation using the Web Platform Installer and then use the config file from that?

Totally lost on this, there doesn't appear to be any instructions other than using the web platform installer to get started, which isn't really any good as I'm going to need to edit some of the code.

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jul 13, 2011 @ 18:58
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Tim, welcome to the Umbraco forum.

Firstly, what are you wanting to do? Going straight into compiling from the core source-code is not going to be an enjoyable experience for a newcomer! (What code are you expecting to edit?)

I'd take a step back and start afresh with using Web PI to install Umbraco. Just checking, have you watched the videos? One important difference since that video was made/release - is that you can use SQL CE (embedded database) - meaning that you don't need to have a database server already set up.

Once Umbraco ready, you'll be guided through the install wizard - where you can choose the database, admin login and select a starter-kit/skin (optional).

After that, if you run into any problems - let us know, we'd be happy to help!

Cheers, Lee.

• Arman 16 posts 50 karma points
    Jun 13, 2012 @ 21:50
    Arman

HI, I have that issue too...

I need to customize the source code for my own needs, but I am wondered how to install and run the web presentation (UI) ?

It redirects me to the login page when I try to open the Install page... (http://localhost:SomePort/Install)

Can you help me and show me how to install the umbraco?

I do NOT want to install the compiled release, I need to change the sources.

Thank you

Best regards. 

• Arman 16 posts 50 karma points
    Jun 14, 2012 @ 13:03
    Arman

I found the way myself!!!

If u want to compile / build the source code, you will need to use the Nant  (  http://nant.sourceforge.net/ ).

Go to the home directory of source code (where the file umbraco,sln exists) and then create a file "nant.bat" , right click on it add select edit,

Copy these lines:

@echo off
    "C:\Program Files\NAnt\bin\NAnt.exe" %

Replace the address to the path that you've unzipped the nant.

runt the nant.batch, after executation, if no problem occurs, you can find the compiled umbraco at "build" folder.

add it to IIS az a virtual directory or run it via the WebMatrix ,etc.

Follow the installation wizard, go have fun :) 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft