Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Roshan 6 posts 26 karma points
    Jul 14, 2011 @ 09:04
    Roshan

http://localhost not working

Hello everyone,

Installation of Umbraco is over on windows Vista.

But while i try to open http://localhost it doesn't work. The explorer doesn't respond at all. I have tried installing it again but it still didn't work.

I would be very thankful if i could get this solved.

• Jesper Hauge 298 posts 487 karma points c-trib
    Jul 14, 2011 @ 09:14
    Jesper Hauge

Hi Roshan,

Did you use the Web Platform Installer to create your umbraco site, and if you did are you sure you set up your site to run off http://localhost? ;

If not, how did you install Umbraco? Did you download from Codeplex and create a web application in IIS manually?

In other words - try to be a bit more specific when describing your problem, that will help us help you.

Regards
    Jesper Hauge 

Jul 14, 2011 @ 09:21
    Roshan

Hi Jesper,

Thanks for the prompt response.

I installed the whole package with the help of the installtion guide i.e. Install umbraco 4 on windows Vista.

i followed all the process and installed all the applications needed.

Jul 14, 2011 @ 11:59
    Jesper Hauge

Hi again,

Okay - that sounds like you're opreating on instructions that're a bit outdated.

These days the most ordinary way to create a running instance of umbraco is to use either the Web Platform Installer which provides Umbraco as one of the apps you can install. 

If you're just trying to get an instance of Umbraco running so you can check it out, and get a feel for it, I'd recommend you use the Web Platform Installer to install Microsoft Webmatrix, once you've got that running there's a "Site From Web Gallery" wizard inside Webmatrix that'll setup an Umbraco site for you, run it and let you edit the code files. I've made a screencast that shows you how to do that here

Good luck

Regards
    Jesper Hauge 

Jul 14, 2011 @ 12:38
    Roshan

Hello,

Thanks u for the solution.

But while i was installing the Web platform installer i got an error msg displaying

"The platform installer couldnot start. Please report the following error on the Web Platform Installer forum. http://forums.iisnet/1155.aspx "

Regards

Roshan

Jul 14, 2011 @ 12:43
    Jesper Hauge

Hmm,

Sounds strange, haven't had problems with Web PI myself.

Do you have the latest .NET frameworks installed? Try visiting http://www.hanselman.com/smallestdotnet/ with Internet Explorer. That'll help determine if you're lacking som .NET libraries.

Regards
    Jesper Hauge 

Jul 14, 2011 @ 12:46
    Roshan

Yup i do have the .NET frameworks installed. Thanks for link i will visit it and let you know what happens.

Appreciated.

Regards 

Roshan

Jul 17, 2011 @ 07:41
    Roshan

Hey Jesper,

Thanks for your support , really appreciated it.

I have installed everythying as your instructions. 

Not the problem is when i open Web matrix, when the startup screen appears. Beside My Sites, Rest of other couldn't be opened. It says "A compactible version of Web platform Installer 3 and Web Development Tool is required in order to enable this feature", as per your instruction i've installed the Web Platform Installer 3, but now which Web Development Tool shall i install & from where, please guide me through this.

Regards

Roshan

Jul 21, 2011 @ 09:28
    Roshan

Thank you so much for the Solution. It really worked. But please make sure that the version of Applications installed are compactible to each other or else the problem might arise there. 

Thank u Jesper once again for the help.

• RinoSoftware 1 post 21 karma points
    Jul 25, 2011 @ 17:22
    RinoSoftware

On of the easiest ways to get an umbraco instance up and running is to use WebMatrix - it's so easy.

Aug 08, 2011 @ 10:00
    Jesper Hauge

Hi Roshan

Glad I could help :)

Feel free to mark one of my posts as a solution, that'll give me some karma points, provides incentives to everybody else to answer questions ;)

Regards
    Jesper 

• cl june 1 post 21 karma points
    Aug 09, 2011 @ 11:01
    cl june

Is how to do it?Who can tell me how to do it?

————————————

pandora animal

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft