Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Arne 16 posts 37 karma points
    Aug 03, 2011 @ 12:16
    Arne

Multiple websites in 1 Umbraco instance

Hello Umbraco community,

Wow, my first post. Hope to get some useful answers ;-).

One of our customers is currently using a custom made CMS, and we're examining whether it's useful to migrate his CMS to Umbraco (4.7). His CMS contains about 100-200 websites, forming a total of 50.000 nodes. Of course, customers come and go, so these numbers a pretty variable. Also, he uses a lot of 'general' content, which will be linked to other pages so he can manage these texts on just one place.

In a few topics I read about running multiple websites in 1 Umbraco instance. Answers are varying from "it's possible" to "work around it if not necessary". Unfortunately, that still doesn't provide me a clear answer. So once again: is it smart to migrate to Umbraco with the (increasing) above numbers in mind? Any members with experience in a similar situation?

Thanks in advance for helping!

Greetings,
    Arne

PS: I already managed to set-up a multi website Umbraco enviroment like I described above, which works very well. However, performance is just as important...

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Aug 31, 2011 @ 20:14
    Jeroen Breuer

Hello,

It should be possible to build a website with over 50.000 nodes. There are some major website which are running on Umbraco. For example http://www.wired.co.uk/. Microsoft is also using Umbraco in combination with a lot of content. Have a look at this video: http://stream.umbraco.org/video/2098743/multi-environment-team-based. They did a lot of custom work, but it possible. Do all the 50.000 nodes have a lot of content or is it the same content since you mentioned 'general' content.

Perhaps it's better to wait for Umbraco 5. At CodeGarden 2011 the Umbraco core team mentioned that Umbraco 5 will have much better scalability. If you can wait for Umbraco 5 which should be out in a couple of months than I would highly recommended that.

Jeroen

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Aug 31, 2011 @ 21:06
    Dirk De Grave

if he's the one to maintain the websites, yes, i don't see an issue having so many websites in one instance. If these websites span multiple customers, i'd advice against that...

One thing to keep in mind. Make sure to think about your content structure (as in, how will your tree look like in the frontend), as too many child nodes sitting under the same parent may cause performance issues...

Apart from that... go for it... and provide feedback cause i've heard about umbraco instances running 30+ sites, but not 200+. Anyway, having 30 sites each 1000 nodes or 200 sites each 300 nodes, well... these are equal numbers...

Cheers,

/Dirk

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft