Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• ardmore 6 posts 24 karma points
    Aug 08, 2011 @ 15:07
    ardmore

SQL Server version

Hello,

I am going to install umbraco noe. There is a web installer I tried. It looks like it requires username and passowrd for sql server express.

My question is that I already have sql server 2008 r2 developer edition installed. Can I use it or I have to get sql server express as well. I just worry that too many version will cause mess up. Because I saw in the drop down meny only having sql server expree selectable.

Thanks for your help.

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Aug 08, 2011 @ 15:14
    Rich Green

Hey admore,

Welcome to the forum.

I think there's still a problem where the web installer does not recognise that you already have SQL Server R2 installed.

You can multiple versions of SQL server on the same machine though.

Rich

Aug 08, 2011 @ 15:55
    ardmore

If I select Web Platform Installation. Then in the windows a lot of stuffs need to be installed. Such as:

• Umbraco CMS                                                                          9.08 MB
    • Microsoft WebMatrix                                                                7.09 MB
    • Microsoft SQL Server Compact 4.0 (Depency)                       2.5 MB
    • Microsoft SQL Server Compact 4.0 Tools (Dependency)    0.79 MB
    • ASP.NET Web Pages (Dependeny)                                      0.59 MB
    • ASP.NET Web Pages Languages Packs (Dependency)   
    • SQL Server 2008R2 Management Objects (Dependency) 10.42 MB
    • ...... Many many

I already Visual Studio 2010 Professional Edition and SQL Server 2008 R2 installed on my machine. So it will be duplicate and could cause mess up because there is no click option for installation.

Could you please give me a right link for installation?

Thanks.

Aug 08, 2011 @ 16:28
    Rich Green

Hey,

Web Platform installer has alot of dependencies, I had SQL Server 2008 and Visual Studio 2010 installed prior to web platform installer and just let the installer do it's thing ang everything was fine.

If you're worried, you can just download and install Umbraco manually, the platform installer is there to make things easier.

Rich

Aug 08, 2011 @ 17:33
    ardmore

Okay. Now the default server is .\sqlexpress. Should I change it if 2008 r2 is used? Should I create a new database first?

Aug 08, 2011 @ 17:41
    Rich Green

installer can create the database for you, it's up to you which server (express or 2008) you want to use, makes no difference for development.

Rich

Aug 08, 2011 @ 17:48
    ardmore

Okay. I want to use sql server 2008 r2. So the location is .\MSSQLSERVER or MSSQLSERVER?

The difference is there is a .(dot).

Aug 08, 2011 @ 17:55
    Rich Green

Hey,

Open up SQL Server management studio and see what connection is used there, the installer isn't doing anything different, it's just asking for your database credentials.

Rich

Aug 09, 2011 @ 16:28
    ardmore

Thanks. One more follow up question. It is hard to login the forum this morning, I tried several machines and change password then successfully.

What is the setting for login?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft