Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Daniel Dawson 27 posts 47 karma points
    Aug 08, 2011 @ 22:42
    Daniel Dawson

Installing Umbraco on EUKHOST

Hi guys,

I'm looking at getting my Umbraco sites hosted, preferrably on a UK hosting service and have found EUKHOST which looks like a solid option. Has anybody had any experience with them or any difficulties installing umbraco? Also I have the option to choose between Plesk and Dotnetpanel for my installs. Is there any big differences between the two?

Thanks,

Daniel

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Aug 08, 2011 @ 22:48
    Rich Green

I would avoid Plesk as I've had problems in the past with Plesk & Umbraco (permissions being reset).

Not sure if you've gone with EUKHOST but I've had great experiences with Titan Hosting (UK based).

Rich

Aug 08, 2011 @ 23:12
    Daniel Dawson

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the reply!

Funnily enough my choices were left between Titan and EUKHOST however I've looked at the value for money and features between each of the two hosting companies and EUKHOST wins in my opinion for the lower end packages. So you would say to try to avoid plesk and go for dotnetpanel? I'm going to see if there's any documentation on how to install umbraco on dotnetpanel now.

Cheers,

Dan

Aug 08, 2011 @ 23:25
    Rich Green

Hey Dan,

To be honest I've not used dotnetpanel, Plesk was clunky when I used it but it's more popular. As far as I know Titan don't use a control panel, I don't use their shared server for Umbraco but have for a standard .net site, great support though.

Hope whichever you choose works out well.

Rich

Aug 08, 2011 @ 23:28
    Daniel Dawson

Okay cheers Rich. I'll do some more investigating but good to hear another persons experience with a UK host.

Thanks again,

Dan

Aug 11, 2011 @ 13:27
    Rich Green

Hey Dan,

How did you get on?

Rich

• David Lewis 1 post 21 karma points
    Aug 11, 2011 @ 14:51
    David Lewis

I've been using Eukhost for a couple of MojoPortal sites for over a year and I'm happy with their service and support.   I'm new to hosting and my sites are very low volume so I can't really comment on how they compare.   I haven't tried installing Umbraco on Eukhost yet but I think it should be straightforward.   You can FTP a zip file and then use dotnetpanel to unzip it.   I don't know plesk but dotnetpanel seems to work well.

R, David 

• CRacer 2 posts 22 karma points
    Oct 07, 2011 @ 12:32
    CRacer

Hi All,

I am using Umbraco 4.7 on EUKHOST and have been plagued by the permissions reset issues alluded to above.

EUKHOST have been brilliant (they installed Umbraco on the domain at my request), but I think the incompatibility is with Umbraco and Plesk rather than the host.

The permissions get reset roughly every 48 hours, even when I am not touching the site/admin. EUKHOST provided me with some good information on what events are known to reset the permissions in Plesk, but I am not familiar enough with Umbraco to figure out what in my installation could be triggering this (in Umbraco or on the web-server settings).

Just in case someone more knowledgable than me reads this, here is what can trigger the permissions resets, apparently:

1. Reset main FTP user's password from Setup.
    2. Edit main FTP username from Setup.
    3. Enable/Disable FP extensions from Setup.
    4. Change PHP or ASP .NET versions from Setup.
    5. Add/remove additional script languages from Setup.
    6. Enable/disable dedicated Pool to a domain from Setup.
    7. Reset additional FTP user's password from FTP manager.
    8. Edit additional FTP username from FTP manager.
    9. Plesk Control panel has been upgraded or repaired.
    Editing any options in Setup menu runs a utility to reassign permission on the domain according to the updated data.

No idea how it can be fixed, so dotnetpanel may be the way to go, unfortunately.

Oct 07, 2011 @ 12:41
    Rich Green

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

From personal experience I've found Plesk to be a nightmare. Permissions do get changed, however this is not due to anything happening within Umbraco. It's down to plesk.

I had live sites that went down without anyone touching them at all.

I would try to avoid Control Panels if possible. EUKHOST seem great (I've not used them) I can also recommend Titan Internet too.

Best of luck

Rich

• CRacer 2 posts 22 karma points
    Oct 07, 2011 @ 16:01
    CRacer

Thanks, Rich,

Yeah, it is very frustrating because Umbraco is the best CMS I've used, but Plesk just doesn't play nicely with it. Other CMS' work fine with other domains on the same Plesk account, so it is something particular with Umbraco and Plesk. Reading through a number of threads, I suspect it could be fixed with IIS tweaking, but no-one seems to know exactly what causes it so we have nothing to raise with the host and have no access to experiment. I think most Umbraco users host locally or have dedicated servers/VPS, as it seems to be the most popular with developers, etc. 

Oh well. I'm going to try some playing with DotnetPanel and MojoPortal kindly recommended above. At least until the next version...  :)

Cheers,

Chris

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft