Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• suck 3 posts 22 karma points
    Aug 11, 2011 @ 15:54
    suck

Installing on Azure - domain

Hi

After using the accelerator I get my page: http://somepage.cloudapp.net but instead of getting Umbraco setup I get the list of my sites in BlobStorage. How can I access the new instalaltion?

• Lennart Stoop 304 posts 842 karma points
    Aug 11, 2011 @ 22:42
    Lennart Stoop

Hi,

That is indeed normal behavior: during installation you provided a domain name which has already been configured as the binding of your website in IIS.

Once you have created a DNS mapping it will become available.

In the meanwhile you can view the website by creating an entry in your host file, and for this you'll need to configure the VIP of your deployment and the domain name. The VIP can be found in the Azure portal > hosted services > deployment > properties (located at the bottom).

Grtz

L

Aug 12, 2011 @ 09:40
    suck

Hmm... I've added an entry to the host file by still I only get the landing page of the accelerator, not the Umbraco setup itself :/

Aug 12, 2011 @ 09:45
    Lennart Stoop

Forgot to mention: you can view the site by browsing to the domain name instead of xxx.cloudapp.net.

Aug 12, 2011 @ 10:07
    suck

It doesn't work at all. I only get the landing page of the accelerator.

Aug 12, 2011 @ 10:35
    Lennart Stoop

That's odd. My best guess is something went wrong during installation, so you may need to start over.

You can also RDP into the web role VM and have a look at the configuration in IIS to see if everything was setup correctly (and look if the site is running correctly on http://localhost:80)

• Cavan Arrowsmith 20 posts 42 karma points
    Aug 16, 2011 @ 15:07
    Cavan Arrowsmith

Hi Suck and Lennart,

I'm getting the same result as Suck.

I already have a working Umbraco/Azure deployment, but this is only on Extra Small web instance, so I am migrating these to Medium instances and to a new domain name.

I redeployed the current live Umbraco files to the new Azure deployment, all files have been moved over and the SQL Azure DB is intact. In the ServiceDefinition file, I added www.imgoinglive.com to a HttpIn endpoint address. One of the last things that you do to deploy Umbraco to Azure is to define the domain name, find the Umbraco build files and upload the files. In the domain name I specified www.imgoinglive.com I also edited the hosts file to point at this.

All is well so far, until I come to browse to www.imgoinglive.com from my PC. I get a 503 DNS error.

When I remotely log on to the Azure Web Roles I notice that there are two websites in IIS: Webrole_IN_0_Web (in a Running state) and Webrole_IN_0_www-imgoinglive-com (In a Stopped state). When I browse to www.imgoinglive.com from the Azure Webrole I get the Umbraco Azure Accelerator landing page. When I browse to imgoinglive.cloudapp.net from the Webrole I also get a DNS 503 error. If I browse to localhost I get a 503 error. In my Azure Webrole hosts file I see xx.xx.xx.xx 0.www.imgoinglive.com and xx.xx.xx.xx 1.www.imgoinglive.com

If I stop the  Webrole_IN_0_Web website and start the Webrole_IN_0_www-imgoinglive-com I can browse, from the Azure Webrole, to www.imgoinglive.com without the Accelerator landing page.

I have set up a CNAME entry for www.imgoinglive.com. with my registered Domain Name provider, but it's only been a couple of hours so it's unlikely this has propogated.

I've been retracing my steps many, many times on this and I know that changing configurations in Azure IIS will be lost but I just don't know how I'm supposed to get rid of this Umbraco Accelerator landing page. Can you see where I may have gone wrong?

Please let me know if you may need more info.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 16, 2011 @ 19:31
    Lennart Stoop

Hi Cavan,

As far as I can see those settings seem correct, apart from the umbraco site that stopped running (both sites should be running by the way).

Im not sure why you would need to configure the service definition file's HttpIn manually though - the binding is configured automatically in the last step of the accelerator wizard (when you enter the domain name).

I would recommend to try and walk through the wizard again (at least you wont need to setup azure db, storage account, etc. anymore). In case it would help, here's a guide which Ive been using a couple of times:

http://www.buug.be/media/4301/umbraco-azure-step-by-step-guide.pdf

• Cavan Arrowsmith 20 posts 42 karma points
    Aug 18, 2011 @ 17:34
    Cavan Arrowsmith

I trashed the Azure deployment and started from scratch again. I followed the step-by-step guide again and this time ensured that no endpoints/host headers were declared until the deployment wizard at the end. When I remote logon to the Azure Webrole and type in http://imgoinglive.cloudapp.net I still get the Umbraco Accelerator landing page.

Is there any configuration that I should be changing? I know that if the Webrole is rebuilt, and it happens monthly, all IIS configuration that I have changed will be lost. What am I doing wrong?

If I stop with Webrole_IN_0_Web website then I get the correct Umbraco page, but if it is running I get the below:

• Gary Hayes 4 posts 24 karma points
    Oct 07, 2011 @ 10:48
    Gary Hayes

Hello there,

I have made and deployed a site, pointing it to a domain WITHOUT a subdomain (or www).

This can't be done:

http://blog.smarx.com/posts/custom-domain-names-in-windows-azure

I need to now remame the domain from mydomain.com to www.mydomain.com.

There is a lot of content on the site (added after deployment using the vip/host file to access the backend), so I can't redeploy (or can I??)

Any suggestions would be greatly apreciated (used a lot of time on this one).

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft