Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matthew 16 posts 36 karma points
    Aug 21, 2011 @ 20:13
    Matthew

Effort of work: move existing .NET site to umbraco new install

Hi,

I hope this is the right place and an appropiate question -- I'll go for it.

We're considering converting an existing .NET website (no CMS) to umbraco. There are some database-driven aspx pages which I know i'll have to customize, but for the most part the pages are static html with diverse content (some pages with scribd, others with articles, tables, listings of pdfs for downloads, etc).

I know every implementation is different, but does anyone have anything to say about converting static html pages into umbraco? I realize I need to develop the templates for each page type/layout, customize the menu, (I'm picking up things as I read the docs & watch the videos). Any lessons learned?

I guess, as I'm trying to generate an estimate, if anyone can say 'oh yeah, converting custom static pages to umbraco is a nightmare' or if they would say the opposite.

Thanks in advance!

Matthew

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Aug 22, 2011 @ 08:35
    Dirk De Grave

Matthew,

Seems you're already on the right track. Converting your static html pages shouldn't be a big issue, just need to find out how to use master pages to can reuse parts of the pages that are relevant to all static pages. And as you're suggesting, creating the doc types for each of the different pages are good to go. And for the pages that require some db access, you can use either user controls (and macro) or use Razor to fetch and display data from your custom db.

I'd say: go for it.

If however, you're stuck on anyting, come back here and ask your questions, you'll soon find an answer.

Good luck,

Cheers,

/Dirk

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft