Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Stephen 204 posts 246 karma points
    Aug 23, 2011 @ 10:54
    Stephen

ready to put umbraco on my live server

Just about finished my first umbraco site, all done locally.  The next step i guess is installing umbraco on my live dedicted server (1&1 value server) and getting the stuff uploaded. the questions is i have existing sites on that server, all of which are NOT located in the wwwroot.

1. Am i safe enough to install unbrco whithout breaking any of my existing .Net & SQL sites?
    2. If so will there be a performance impact once umbraco is up and running?
    3. Is it easy enough to copy a site and import into the live installation?

Thanks for listening.

S

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Aug 23, 2011 @ 13:05
    Dirk De Grave

Here's how I do it:

• - Create a new iis site on your dedicated server and set path to wherever you want to put your site files (doesn't have to be wwwroot, can be any folder on disk)
    • - Copy over complete local umbraco folder. You may want to exclude some folders (ClientDependency, Lucene indexing folders)
    • - Backup db on local dev machine and restore on dedicated server
    • - Make changes to web.config to point to your newly created db

and you should be good to go.

Browse to the new site. Go into admin and make sure to republish the entire site from the top level node's context menu. If nothing shows up yet, go to /umbraco/dialogs/republish.aspx?xml=true and hit the button. All content should be republished.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

/Dirk

Aug 23, 2011 @ 13:18
    Stephen

Dirk, fantatsic post...I always had it in my mind that umbraco had to be installed in the wwwroot folder?

S

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Aug 23, 2011 @ 14:04
    Dirk De Grave

nope, only requirement is to point your iis site to the root folder of your umbraco installation, wherever that's located on disk.

Cheers,

/Dirk

Aug 31, 2011 @ 18:43
    Stephen

finally got round to puttin this live...and getting the following error.. I have set the Network service to modify acces and the asp.net account and the ISUR account..i have no more accounts to give access to?! any ideas?

Access to the path 'C:\Websites\XXXX\App_Data\umbraco.config' is denied.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft