Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• tony 15 posts 35 karma points
    Aug 24, 2011 @ 09:08
    tony

Getting a clean database

Hi,

I have created a couple of Umbraco sites before and think its great.  But now I am looking at the templates and skins and see some potential for them, but my question is, when I apply a templace it creates lots of classes in the database... is there an easy way to clean them out and try a new template?  I can see that I can delete them one by one, but I wondered if there was a way to just re-create a brand new fresh database?

I did consider just dropping the database in MySQL but I wondered if there is a sweeter way of just restarting with a virgin database?

Thanks Tony

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Aug 24, 2011 @ 09:12
    Dirk De Grave

Hi Tony,

Me thinks it's best to backup a db after you've performed a clean umbraco install, so you'll always have a *blank* (ie non populated db) at your disposal. But then again, it should only take a couple of minutes to set up a working clean umbraco site from scratch.

Cheers,

/Dirk

• Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Aug 25, 2011 @ 13:33
    Tim

We have a database backup of a fresh/baseline install that we just use to restore the database when we're setting up/testing sites.

One thing to watch out for is if you have cutom datatypes that create new tables in the database, make sure those tables etc are included in the backup, or you'll lose them when you restore the database!

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Aug 26, 2011 @ 08:47
    Rich Green
Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft