Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Stefan Ekman 18 posts 37 karma points
    Aug 30, 2011 @ 13:02
    Stefan Ekman

Installation Issue with Umbraco 4.7 and hosted Win Server 2008

Hi,

I recently changed hosting company to Blacknight which operates in Ireland and the UK and I'm on a plan with Windows 2008 Server with .NET 4.0 support

I have also run in to the issue with after launching the installer via the web browser all resources as .css, images and .js files fails to load with error 500.19 Internal Server Error. Unfortunately the IIS seem to have blocked me from getting any more detailed errors and after now about 20 emails support they have still failed to copy paste the error(I got one with 3 empty lines..) from the Windows Event logs on the IIS so I don't have any specific error message. 

Some other facts:

1. ASP.NET 4.0.30319.235 installed on server, I can execute the installation ok except it fails when dependent on some script waiting for the DB to be created and also without any styles or images.

2. File permissions double checked, even tried by giving the whole root folder RW access to all users.

3. Added the .air MIME type to the server

As there seem to be so many more people who seem to have the same issues but with different solutions I will try summarize some of them here. None of those solutions have helped me yet. 

I'm also setting up a VM with 2008 to try replicate the problem on my own.

Other peoples problems I have stumbled into:

1. Permission problems - Easy fix here by setting the correct permissions

2. Sub directory with different Application Pool that has a lower .NET version. The fix here is also easy, just remove any applications pools that are set on sub directories under the Umbraco installation.

3. User had 500.19 errors did install Service Pack 2 on the server which fixed it.

4. A lot of references to System.Web.Extensions with similar problem

So, you guys have any ideas what to try next for me or should I just give up and go with another web hosting company? I seriously thinking of moving to a VPS solutions soon..

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Aug 30, 2011 @ 13:09
    Rich Green

Hey Stefan,

Welcome to the forum!

I don't have an exact answer to your problem however 90% of the installation problems I see on here are to do with 'permissions' either they are not set correctly or given to the incorrect user.

I would have to say that if you're not pleased with the support of your hosting company after a few days do you *really* want to host sites with them that become more and more painful to move?

I have no affiliation but I can recommend Titan Internet for UK hosting, I've used both their shared server and VDS's support is fantastic.  

Rich 

Aug 30, 2011 @ 13:20
    Stefan Ekman

Hi Rich,

and thanks for the welcome. I have actually looked at Titan but they got ridiculous low quotes for disk space(100mb for starter pack) for what they are charging.. I'm really trying to justify the cost for an VPS but hard when non of my sites are "commercial"..

Cheers,

Stefan

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Aug 30, 2011 @ 13:44
    Rich Green

Give them a call if you get a chance to double check these limits, I'd be surprised if they couldn't offer you something.

Rich

Sep 20, 2011 @ 12:40
    Stefan Ekman

Got tired of hosting companies :) Got a fixed IP on my home internet and running all my domains there now and working perfectly.. Did a small performance test from work and ran 10 requests per second for about an hour with about 5 times better performance than my old hosting company.. 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft