Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Martin 7 posts 27 karma points
    Sep 02, 2011 @ 14:06
    Martin

Umbraco CMS 5.0 CTP 1 installation skips some steps and does not populate DB

I wish to try Umbraco CMS 5.0 CTP 1 since it has a good reputation.

Since im into ASP MVC 3, I thought I would try to install the preview of V5. I know this might be buggy, but I did expect that I could install it properly, but that was not correct.

I start the installation vizard, go through step 1- 3.

In step 3 I add my DB information (which I know works), and go to the next step. Then it looks like everything is OK, and I get this message:

The Umbraco database is being configured. This process populates 
    your chosen database with a blank Umbraco instance. Installation 
    completed!

But when I look in my DB I see no tables, so something did not go as planned. I then click "Continue". And now I arrive at step 5 (step 4 was skipped).

Step 5 says "Install a Starter kit", with a HUGE button with the text "Dev data set". I click this button, and installation is completed.

I now have 2 choices, "Preview your new website" and "Set up your new website". If I click on "Set up your new website" I return to step 1 of the installation vizard.

What might go wrong? I tried looking into the log file, but I did not find anything of interest to me.

Server: Windows 2008 SQL: SQL Server 2008 MVC3 installed, ASP.NET 4 installed.

• Matt Brailsford 4125 posts 22222 karma points MVP 9x c-trib
    Sep 02, 2011 @ 16:47
    Matt Brailsford

Hi Martin,

I'm not sure, but I think the CTP only works with SQL CE 4. Maybe give that a try and see how you get on.

Cheers

Matt

Sep 05, 2011 @ 11:51
    Martin

I have tried to download and install this http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=17876.
    But I still get the same problem..

Do I have to copy any binary files from the SQL CE 4 folder to my Jupiter bin folder?

Should have been some kind of installation guide for version 5 of Umbraco :)

• jaygreasley 416 posts 403 karma points
    Sep 05, 2011 @ 12:21
    Sep 05, 2011 @ 12:44
    Martin

Yes, that is the place from where I downloaded the package. I have also followed the few instructions on the site, but still no luck.

• jaygreasley 416 posts 403 karma points
    Sep 05, 2011 @ 12:50
    jaygreasley

ok, in which case I think your question "Do I have to copy any binary files from the SQL CE 4 folder to my Jupiter bin folder" is the key. 

try http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/using-sql-ce-4-with-umbraco-46

Sep 05, 2011 @ 13:12
    Martin

Still no luck, I followed step 3 on the page you referenced. I also found out that most of the dll's where already in the Jupiter bin folder.
    Might there be some kind of permission problem?

I did check the log file now, and I saw this error, does it make any sense for you guys?

011-09-05 13:09:16,807 [9] ERROR Umbraco.Framework.Tasks.ApplicationTaskManager [(null)] - Error running a task trigger devdata-install for task DevDatasetInstallTask
    System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot start a read-only unit of work as no factory is available for provider rw-nhibernate-01
       at Umbraco.Framework.Persistence.ProviderSupport.AbstractHiveReadWriteProvider.CreateReadOnlyUnitOfWork()
       at Umbraco.Framework.Hive.PersistenceGovernor.ReadOnlyUnitOfWorkFactoryWrapper.<CreateForReading>b__2(IHiveReadProvider x)
       at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectListIterator`2.MoveNext()
       at System.Linq.Enumerable.Count[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)
       at Umbraco.Framework.Hive.PersistenceGovernor.ReadOnlyUnitOfWorkWrapper..ctor(IEnumerable`1 uowPool, IFrameworkContext frameworkContext, IDataContextFactory dataContextFactory)
       at Umbraco.Framework.Hive.PersistenceGovernor.ReadOnlyUnitOfWorkFactoryWrapper.CreateForReading()
       at Umbraco.Framework.Persistence.ProviderSupport.AbstractHiveReadProvider.CreateReadOnlyUnitOfWork()
       at Umbraco.Framework.Hive.PersistenceGovernor.DefaultHiveMappingGroup.CreateReadOnlyUnitOfWork()
       at Umbraco.Cms.Web.Tasks.DevDatasetInstallTask.get_NeedsInstallOrUpgrade()
       at Umbraco.Cms.Web.Tasks.DevDatasetInstallTask.InstallOrUpgrade()
       at Umbraco.Cms.Web.Tasks.DevDatasetInstallTask.Execute(TaskExecutionContext context)
       at Umbraco.Framework.Tasks.ApplicationTaskManager.ExecuteInContext(String triggerName, TaskExecutionContext context)
    Sep 05, 2011 @ 13:22
    Martin

Okay, I did grant "Everyone" all permissions on the Umbraco folder, and now it looks like it works.

The installation did take a bit longer time, as it imported dev data to the database.
    But the vizard still skips the step where the user is supposed to be created, and also where I can select skin.

• Matt Brailsford 4125 posts 22222 karma points MVP 9x c-trib
    Sep 05, 2011 @ 13:24
    Matt Brailsford

Hi Martin,

That is the expected behavour as the user is hardcoded in the CTP admin/test, so there is no create user step. Similar with the skins, there is a just a basic runway skin that comes with the devdataset.

Glad you got it up and running though.

Cheers

Matt

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft