Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• PANKAJ SOOD 1 post 21 karma points
    Sep 06, 2011 @ 12:23
    PANKAJ SOOD

What is Umbraco & how to use it

Hi Members,

I am a new user of umbraco i have spent some time and gone thought the website of umbraco but didn't completly understand how to use umbraco.

Few Questions in mind: 

Can we also use umbraco for dynamic sites?

What to do for database connectivity in umbraco?

can we add some custom aspx pages,cs class in umbraco ?

Can anyone help me. please

Regards

PANKAJ

• Michael Latouche 504 posts 819 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    Sep 06, 2011 @ 13:01
    Michael Latouche

Hi Pankaj,

Welcome to the Umbraco forum!

Umbraco is a CMS running on ASP.Net, that you can use "as is" or extend as you wish. So, yes, it can certainly be used for building dynamic web sites.

As far as the database connectivity is concerned, it is just a regular ASP .Net application, so you can access any DB you want by using the <connectionstrings> section in the web.config. You can either create custom tables in the same database as the one where Umbraco resides, or use a completely separate database.

You cannot add custom aspx pages per se, but you can create custom controls which you can then reference in Umbraco as "Macro's". You can then include those macro's in the content pages that you create from the Umbraco backend. You can do the same with xslt or razor scripts.

If you have other questions, don't hesitate to post them, there will certainly be someone to answer :-)

Cheers,

Michael.

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Sep 06, 2011 @ 13:16
    Rich Green

Hi,

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, Umbraco is for dynamic sites.

You don't really need to worry about database connectivity as Umbraco handles that.

Yes, you can add custom classes if needed.

I would consider watching these free videos http://umbraco.com/help-and-support/video-tutorials/introduction-to-umbraco/sitebuilder-introduction/document-types.aspx

Rich

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft