This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Robert Dolman 22 posts 42 karma points
    Sep 07, 2011 @ 14:20
    Robert Dolman

Step 3 fails every time

I am selecting "

With option -> Microsoft SQL Server

Quadruple checked my Server, Database name, Username and Password

I then get "The Umbraco database is being configured. This process populates your chosen database with a blank Umbraco instance." followed by a 5% progress bar and "Connecting"

After a short amount of time I then receive the following error;

Database connection initialisation failed.

I have used the following bat file to setup my folder permissions on the web server;

:: Hope you enjoy this one
    :: Sets up the right folder permissions for Umbraco to run
    :: Inspired by http://blog.mattbrailsford.com/2010/08/01/adding-a-windows-context-menu-item-to-set-umbraco-folder-permissions/
    :: from the boys at Offroadcode.com
    ECHO OFF
    SET which_user="%computername%\ASPNET"
    ECHO ON
    cacls "%CD%" /E /G %which_user%:C
    cacls "%CD%\app_code" /E /G %which_user%:F
    cacls "%CD%\app_browsers" /E /G %which_user%:F
    cacls "%CD%\app_data" /E /G "%which_user%:C
    cacls "%CD%\bin" /E /G "which_user%:R
    cacls "%CD%\config" /E /G "which_user%:C
    cacls "%CD%\css" /E /G "%which_user%:C
    cacls "%CD%\data" /E /G "%which_user%:C
    cacls "%CD%\masterpages" /E /G "%which_user%:C
    cacls "%CD%\media" /E /G "%which_user%:C
    cacls "%CD%\python" /E /G "%which_user%:C
    cacls "%CD%\scripts" /E /G "%which_user%:C
    cacls "%CD%\umbraco" /E /G "%which_user%:R
    cacls "%CD%\usercontrols" /E /G "%which_user%:R
    cacls "%CD%\xslt" /E /G "%which_user%:C
    cacls "%CD%\web.config" /E /G "%which_user%:C
    ::Uncomment below if testing
    PAUSE

I have a blank database on my SQL server called Umbraco with the following permissions set for my SQL User;

db_datareader
    db_datawriter
    db_ddladmin
    db_owner
    db_securityadmin
    public

I cannot get any further than step 3, this is not a good start!

• Nigel Wilson 944 posts 2076 karma points
    Sep 09, 2011 @ 08:30
    Nigel Wilson

Hi there

Make sure you have write permissions on your folders & web.config.

The first thing the install tries to do is write the database credentials to the web.config file. If you do not have write access, it immediately fails.

Cheers

Nigel

• Tommy Albinsson 121 posts 254 karma points
    Sep 09, 2011 @ 08:35
    Tommy Albinsson

As Nigel said, make sure you have write permissions on the folder of your website. Right click on the folder and select the security tab. Make sure that the group IIS_IUSRS has permission to write

Cheers

Sep 12, 2011 @ 14:38
    Robert Dolman

I assumed thats what the script was for.

I had both the ASP.NET Machine Account (ComputerName\ASPNET) and the Internet Guest Account (ComputerName\IUSR_ComputerName) with read/write access.

I ended up getting frustrated and added 'Everyone' with Full Control to the web.config file.

Can I safely remove this permission now that Umbraco is installed?

• Peter Duncanson 430 posts 1360 karma points c-trib
    Sep 12, 2011 @ 14:47
    Peter Duncanson

Hi Robert,

Sorry you are having trouble with my Script. It was build for XP Pro which I no longer use so not sure what might need changing on it. One thing I did find after I'd used it a few times is that the persmissions did not seem to be inherited by child folders which is odd and damn annoying at time. It normally let you get by the installation though.

If its a local development machine then you are safe to just give access to all folders (not recommend but we all do it) to get it up and running.

Sorry for any frustration caused. I'll see if I can't get a virtual machine running so I can test what the issue might be and correct the script.

Cheers

Pete

Sep 12, 2011 @ 15:51
    Robert Dolman

Hi Peter, thanks for posting.

There didn't seem to be a problem with the script per se I just couldn't figure out which user actually needed the permissions in order to get things going.

I now have it installed on our dev box so I'm not too fussed at the moment, but I certainly wouldn't want Everyone having Full Control of the web.config on our live server.

I was just wondering if the (unsafe) permission used for installation would effect the day-to-day running of Umbraco once it is removed?

• Vishal Chintawar 13 posts 33 karma points
    Sep 12, 2011 @ 16:40
    Vishal Chintawar

i am having the same issue but in my case umbraco can write to web.config file, creates 12 databases and just sits there at 35% doing nothing. i am using

windows 2008 r2

iis 7.5

sql server 2008 (remote server option)

tried manual install, web deployment tool install.

nothing works. please help

thanks

Sep 12, 2011 @ 16:47
    Vishal Chintawar

Updated: Tried using version 4.6.1 and same issue. creates 12 databases and hangs.

This might help, i am trying to install to a existing database which already has 100 other custom tables.

Sep 12, 2011 @ 17:13
    Vishal Chintawar

install in a new blank database works fine. just doesn't work while installing to existing database.

Sep 12, 2011 @ 18:26
    Vishal Chintawar

found the issue while installing in existing databases. make sure there are no existing constraints named similar to the ones umbraco trying to create. ones u rename urs, it should work fine.

Sep 13, 2011 @ 17:42
    Robert Dolman

To conclude this thread I'd just like to add that I think the account I should have been giving access to was Network Service (written as NETWORKSERVICE, all one word when setting permissions with cacls)

This is the account that the application pool for the website was running under.

• May 17 posts 37 karma points
    Jul 24, 2012 @ 04:07
    May

Hi I'm getting the same problem as Robert on step3 after 5% getting "Database connection initialisation failed." error. 

I can login to my remote DB server using the username and password I used in the setup.
    Also my web.config is writable as the connection string information is auto populated after receiving that error.
    I also have ASPNET, NETWORK SERVICE, IIS_IUSRS full permission to all my files and folders.

I'm using Umbraco 4.8.0 with SQL 2008 R2 Server. 
    I found this on issue tracker: http://umbraco.codeplex.com/workitem/30076 but no resolution yet.

Could anyone help please?

Thanks.

May 

• SC Digital Services Team 104 posts 171 karma points
    Jul 24, 2012 @ 10:35
    SC Digital Services Team

Hi May,

As you are using IIS7 on Windows Server 2008 you will need to replace the NETWORK SERVICE with your application pool identity - see the following posts for more information:

http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/how-to-install-umbraco-on-windows-server-2008

http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/set-umbraco-folder-permissions-from-command-line

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vijaysk/archive/2009/02/13/goodbye-network-service.aspx

Hope this helps!

• May 17 posts 37 karma points
    Jul 25, 2012 @ 02:09
    May

Thanks SC Web Team, I've looked at the links and yes I'm using application pool identity in my IIS7 application pool settings.

Anyways, when I change it to different DB server, it's installing fine. So must be the previous DB Server problem. Thanks anyways. :)

• Eric Schrepel 161 posts 226 karma points
    Dec 12, 2012 @ 22:59
    Eric Schrepel

To Robert's last comment I'll add that I'd created a batch file similar to the above using "IIS APPPOOL\umbraco" for all permission-setting, and ran into the same lockup when the database screen popped up.

My solution was to add add permissions for the NETWORK SERVICE user to modify web.config (even though it seems it should be captured under the IIS APPPOOL\umbraco user), so my last line is:

icacls web.config /grant "NETWORK SERVICE":M

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft