Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Simon 5 posts 25 karma points
    Sep 11, 2011 @ 18:08
    Simon

Database connection initialisation failed

I installed v4.7.0 fine on my PC, but trying to install on my web host I am getting an error from the installation wizard Step3 - database.

"Database connection initialisation failed".

I have tried SQL2005, SQL2008R2 and MySql - all with the same error.  Using the standard database connections and a variety of connection strings in the 'advanced user'.

I have set the file permissions for all the files on the site to be full read/write/execute - just to try and get it going.

I always get the same error, and I am fairly confident theres not a problem with any of the databases.

What things should I be looking for?

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Sep 11, 2011 @ 20:29
    Rich Green

Hey Simon,

Welcome to the forum!

I would just alter the connection string manually in the web.config file, Umbraco will pick it up from there.

Rich

Sep 11, 2011 @ 21:00
    Simon

Thanks.  I've tried that but the the installer then tries to take me through all the steps again and I still have the same problem at the database step.

Is there any documentation on this?

• jaygreasley 416 posts 403 karma points
    Sep 12, 2011 @ 00:15
    jaygreasley

Have you got external access to the db server? if so you could try connecting to it from sql management studio with the credentials you are using to see if that works.

Sep 12, 2011 @ 01:36
    Simon

Yes, I have connected to the database externally with the same credentials and have db owner permissions.  I have also created a asp.net page (from a separate website) to connect to the DB and that works fine.

Is there any documentation on setting up manually without going through the wizard?

Sep 12, 2011 @ 08:02
    Rich Green

Hey Simon,

My guess is that your file permissions are incorrect, I would double & triple check that you've given them to the correct users.

Setting up an Umbraco site manually is the same as for a normal .net site, take a database back up, restore it on the server, copy the files over, set permissions anf change the connection string. If it's 4.7 then the Application pool needs to be .net 4.0

Rich 

Sep 12, 2011 @ 13:08
    Simon

I have double checked all the permissions, and the entire site has full permissions and I can see the modified dates of the web.config and other directories changed.

Can I somehow skip the installer?

Sep 12, 2011 @ 13:13
    Rich Green

Hey Simon, 

To skip the installer, just change this line here

<add key="umbracoConfigurationStatus" value="" />

To

<add key="umbracoConfigurationStatus" value="4.7.0" />

Rich

Sep 12, 2011 @ 13:29