Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mike 23 posts 86 karma points
    Sep 16, 2011 @ 12:49
    Mike

NullReferenceException on Content Tree in admin after upgrade to 4.7

I am currently upgrading one of our old Umbraco sites from 4.0.3 to 4.7 and after a bit of wrestling it's gone relatively smoothly. I'm still using the legacy XSLT and the site itself doesn't have any custom packages added so it's still quite clean. The site itself seems to be running well on my staging server and I was almost ready to push it to the live site.

However, in the admin area whenever I click on "most" content items within the tree I receive the following error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       umbraco.controls.ContentControl.addControlNew(Property p, TabPage tp, String Caption) +93
       umbraco.controls.ContentControl.CreateChildControls() +833
       System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +181
       umbraco.controls.ContentControl.OnInit(EventArgs e) +122
       System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +132
       System.Web.UI.Control.AddedControl(Control control, Int32 index) +276
       umbraco.cms.presentation.editContent.OnInit(EventArgs e) +1004
       System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +132
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1953

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.1

A few quick searches on Google would seem to indicate that people have suffered from similar problems, although I was unable to see a solution that didn't involve restoring a previous database (naturally, I can't do this as I've just upgraded).

To reiterate, the content itself looks perfectly fine on the users side, but on the content tree it's unviewable. I've tried refreshing the app pool, doing a full iisreset and have also tried republishing the site.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this?

• Mike 23 posts 86 karma points
    Sep 16, 2011 @ 16:25
    Mike

EDIT (Can't edit my post, XSLT error): It would appear that I was wrong about there before no packages installed. We were using the TreeMultiPicker package and it seems that it could be the reason why the items using it aren't working. Anyone know how to switch out this bad package for a replacement (e.g. uComponent's MultiNodeTreePicker)?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft