Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Carlos Mosqueda 241 posts 432 karma points
    Sep 19, 2011 @ 05:36
    Carlos Mosqueda

Installing Umbraco 4.7 a PAIN. Please help me.

I am having major issues with installing a local copy of Umbraco 4.7 on my machine.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to use the build in database CE if possible.

Getting rediculous.

1. I tried installing Umbraco locally. Manually downloaded it, put it in my Inetpub > wwwroot.  Set up IIS 7 to use the .Net 4.0 (tried .Net 4.0 Classic) app pool, pointed to the build folder in IIS, set permissions for Network Service to edit everything.  I set up my Host file to point to my domain, set domain in IIS to point to my Host file domain I set up.
    Got to an install process once, tried to do the SQL CE but was told I would have to get a bunch of binaries and dlls and put them in my bin. Which I did. Installation would not install. Some kind of error with the database or something, kept trouble shooting from there, got nothing.  Rediculous.  

2. Tried to install from http://www.microsoft.com/web/gallery/ but to no avail.I chose to install with the SQL CE. I got a screen when I tried to install it,  In the web platform installation window after I hit install I got an error message saying

"We're sorry, The following products have failed to install"

Umbraco CMS
       This product did not install successfully: Downloaded file failed signature verification and may have been tampered with.

What the heck does that mean and why is this not working.

3. Tried installing using the Web Platform Installer but it was not in my list when I tried installing the installer. So taht did not work.

4. Tried installing the Web Matrix way. That didn't work either.  Looks like Umbraco was not in my assembly.

What am I doing wrong?  Is there a step by step process out there I am missing? Because I have tried to install it locally 4 different ways and nothing. This is really bothering the heck out of me. I would ultimately like to manually install like I did with 4.5 on other projects. But seems like this is getting out of hand.

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Sep 19, 2011 @ 09:19
    Dirk De Grave

Carlos,

Really sorry to hear about your install experience. Can you try downloading the binaries, and using sql server first instead of sql ce (yeah, i know you want to use sql ce), but at least you'd know if there's something wrong with the sql ce installer?

Looking forward to your progress.

Cheers,

/Dirk

Sep 20, 2011 @ 03:59
    Carlos Mosqueda

Dirk,

I am very novice at the Sql server set up. I have Sql Server 2008 Express on my machine but don't know how to set up Umbraco to it or set up a database for Umbraco to use.  Any help would be appreciated on that front.  The start up videos, from what I see don't really explain all this for novice users of SqlServer set ups.

I set up 4.5 with VistaDB which worked like a dream but this whole SQL CE problem is not a fun one.

Thanks

Sep 20, 2011 @ 04:56
    Carlos Mosqueda

Found my issue, I think. In my permissions my IIS_User was not set to have full permissoin which makes me think the CE database could not be set up because IIS did not have permissions.

Ugh night mare. I also did not set up the permissions in IIS but instead in Windows Explorer.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft