Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Anthony Candaele 1197 posts 2049 karma points
    Sep 19, 2011 @ 15:45
    Anthony Candaele

closing access to backoffice

Hi,

In the promo-text for Courier 2 is said that a possible scenario is to shut down the access to the Umbraco Backoffice on the production site and only edit the site through a staging site.

My question is, how can access to the Umbraco Backoffice been shut on a production site?

Thanks for your advice,

Anthony Candaele

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Sep 19, 2011 @ 16:07
    Dirk De Grave

Remove /umbraco folder?

Sep 19, 2011 @ 16:28
    Anthony Candaele

Hi Dirk,

It's a simple as that? Ok, I'll try it out.

greetings,

Anthony

Sep 19, 2011 @ 16:36
    Anthony Candaele

hmmm, I guess it's a bit more complicated than that. I just removed the /umbraco folder, but then I get this error:

The file '/umbraco/masterpages/default.master' does not exist.

• Comment author was deleted

Sep 19, 2011 @ 16:43

The load balacing vid on umbraco.tv shows what folders are save to remove on your 'slave' sites, also make sure that you don't delete any courier stuff

http://umbraco.com/help-and-support/video-tutorials/umbraco-fundamentals/load-balancing.aspx

Sep 19, 2011 @ 16:46
    Anthony Candaele

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the tip. I'll check out the video and let you now if I succeeded shutting down the Umbraco Backoffice on a production site.

greetings,

Anthony

Sep 20, 2011 @ 10:16
    Anthony Candaele

Hi Tim,

I watched the video tutorials you mentioned. What one should do to shut off the Umbraco Bacoffice, is delete everything in the /umbraco folder except the following stuff:

/umbraco/masterpages folder
    /umbraco/webservices folder

in the /masterpages folder one should keep the default.masterpage file
    in the /webservices folder one should keep the CacheRefresher file.

I did this, and it works, but when I tried to access the /umbraco backoffice on the website, there is a nasty error page.

After giving it a second thought, it's maybe better to keep the Umbraco Backoffice on the production site, but just delete all users (except my admin account), and install a security certificate so that loging in on the Umbraco Backoffice is done through a secure (https) connection.

I made this second thought, because in the 'no backoffice on the production site' scenario, what happens, if for some reason an update on the staging site cannot be transferred to the production site with Courier?

In fact it would be interesting to hear the opinion of other Umbracians on this matter of best security practices for a Umbraco site in production.

greetings,

Anthony Candaele

• Wowotoe 3 posts 24 karma points
    May 03, 2012 @ 00:37
    Wowotoe

I haven't done this yet but I'm rolling out the contents to production soon. I think the easier way will be copy the Umbraco back office files to another folder then create two batch files. EnableBackOffice.bat and DisableBackOffice.bat.

So simply excuting the batch files will copy or remove the necessary files for back office.

and maybe create a default.aspx page under /umbraco to redirect traffic to homepage after back office files are removed.

Sounds simple for me but I'll try that to find out

• Rhychelle Walker 7 posts 27 karma points
    Mar 18, 2015 @ 15:55
    Rhychelle Walker

once closed, is it possible to re-open? we think our previous developer locked down back-office access to his home IP address. he is no longer assisting us and refuses to give us any tips/hints on how to fix or update things. can anyone suggest how we switch this back on via admin access in the contour interface?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 18, 2015 @ 17:06
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Rhychelle

That sounds like a bad situation - Do you know if you can access the database using server management studio? If so then you should be able to change the master administrator password so you can gain access again. But if you don't have any developers or developer skills it might be a good idea to get in touch with some developers in your local area who knows about Umbraco etc.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft