Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• metalforgood 36 posts 55 karma points
    Sep 27, 2011 @ 16:31
    metalforgood

How to run my umbraco website on iis

Hi, I installed an umbraco website, and i got it working using webmatrix,  but i need to host it on my iis

so other peoplee can access the website, how can i do that ? because i did right clicked the website folder then properties then websharing  and choose to share this folder, but yet it is not working on local host, each time i browse it using iis

it gives me the following error :

Server Application Unavailable

The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is currently unavailable.  Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser to retry your request.

Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server. Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur.

can someone help me please :) ?

• Jon Dunfee 199 posts 468 karma points
    Sep 27, 2011 @ 16:42
    Jon Dunfee

Can you provide more details about the server, Umbraco version, etc.?  My first guess is you may need to verify the iis instance is running dotnet 4.

Sep 27, 2011 @ 16:49
    metalforgood

thanks Jon for your reply, well i am using windows xp so it's supposed to be iis 5.1 , the umbraco version is the latest one, (4.7)

sorry but that's all i know :)

Sep 27, 2011 @ 17:10
    Jon Dunfee

I think that's PWS (Personal Web Server); I'm afraid that might be a futile feat to get working. :-(  You might want to investigate this option: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=1038

Sep 27, 2011 @ 17:14
    metalforgood

you mean an umbraco website can't be run using iis 5.1 :|   , any way if this is the problem it's simple, i will find a way to upgrade :)
    thanks a lot for your help, ill see what can i do and i hope it's gonna work :)

Sep 27, 2011 @ 17:15
    metalforgood

you mean an umbraco website can't be run using iis 5.1 :|   , any way if this is the problem it's simple, i will find a way to upgrade :)
    thanks a lot for your help, ill see what can i do and i hope it's gonna work :)

Sep 27, 2011 @ 17:17
    Jon Dunfee

There are inherit limitations with the built-in IIS in XP you will not overcome.  Good luck!

Sep 27, 2011 @ 17:21
    metalforgood

ooops :D oh man (is that the reason it needs to be run using webmatrix ? ) , what am i going to do then :D . shall i get windows 7 ? .

but mainly , there are no configuration or something needs to be modified in order to run an umbraco website using iis  ( in case i am using windows 7 ) ??.

thanks for your help ;)

• Tom Hare 49 posts 81 karma points
    Sep 27, 2011 @ 18:35
    Tom Hare

To run the latest versions of Umbraco you need .Net 4.0 framework and IIRC only IIS7 and above supports it which is not available below Vista. As Jon says, there probably are ways around it but you'll find lots of hinderances and limitations. I'd recommend upgrading to Windows 7 - it's awesome!

Sep 27, 2011 @ 18:39
    metalforgood

thanks a lot Tom : ) you made it clear, yup windows 7 is awesome :)

thanks alot guys for your help ;)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft