Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mike 3 posts 23 karma points
    Oct 13, 2011 @ 00:53
    Mike

General question: Approximately how many hours to build an Umbraco website

Hi, first of all I apologise if this is the wrong area to ask this question;

Anyway, can someone please give me a estimate on how long it would take to create an Umbraco website that consists of 18 pages and has already had the HTML / CSS created for layout / design if the person knows what they are doing?

I realise that this is a "how long is a piece of string" question but a ballpark figure in hours would be good as I am looking at getting an Umbraco website made and the hourly quotes seem completely random.

Thanks

MIke

• wolulcmit 357 posts 693 karma points
    Oct 13, 2011 @ 02:59
    wolulcmit

The question I would ask is 18 Pages of what?
    18 pages of svg/canvas based interactive graphs with form based user interaction is a different ballpark to 18 pages of content managed static text content.

are 18 pages in question sharing any common layout or template?

How long would it it take you to run 18 miles if you don't know if the track beneath your feet will be sand, water, knee-deep mud or ashphalt or a combination of all of those?

It's ballpark quotes that are probably giving you the wrong impression so best not to ask for them :)

just my 2 cents though.

- Tim

Oct 13, 2011 @ 04:00
    Mike

Sorry, my bad; It would be 18 pages of placeholder images and placeholder text; They would just need to create the necessary Umbraco skinned site with the relevant pages

The 18 pages would be based off a single template

Thanks
    Mike

• Craig Cronin 304 posts 503 karma points
    Oct 13, 2011 @ 14:17
    Craig Cronin

Hi Mike,  it sounds as if the pages are quite standard so doesn't require many macros etc.  The hardest thing probably about your site is generating the html to work in the different browsers which is already done.  Also, just becuase its 18 pages doesn't necessarily mean 18 templates.  You could build a 1000 page site from 2 templates really, which would be a homepage and a text page?  If you only needed 1 macro for navigation and 18 standard templates which the html had already been built, you could probably get it done in a day :)

• Craig Cronin 304 posts 503 karma points
    Oct 13, 2011 @ 14:19
    Craig Cronin

Sorry Mike just seen the that 18 pages of a single template.  This is quite easy it would probably take about 1 - 2 tops and that would be problem solving as well :)

• Chriztian Steinmeier 2798 posts 8788 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Oct 13, 2011 @ 14:37
    Chriztian Steinmeier

OK - gotta chip in here:

The thing with Umbraco (and ideally *any* CMS) is that you have the possibility of tailoring the data-entry *so very specific* to the client and their "domain language", which is what absolutely makes or breaks a good Umbraco website, from the client's viewpoint.

As a developer/provider, You *have* to find out if there's something you can do to page 13 that would make the experience easier/simpler. Maybe you will need to build a custom datatype that hugely simplifies data entry (or data-display?).

Without further scrutiny, we're only delivering what the client can get from a thousand other "website builders" - and probably cheaper also. Make it a good experience is all the difference in the world, and clients will actually pay for that.

/Chriztian

Oct 17, 2011 @ 10:51
    Mike

Thanks for the feedback everyone :)

Regards
    Mike 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft