Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Stephen 204 posts 246 karma points
    Oct 18, 2011 @ 13:53
    Stephen

Managing umbraco via Visual studio

I've been using umbraco now for nerly a year and i love it but one things thats been bugging me about it is the CSS styles managment.

Generally speaking i create the CSS in visual studio and copy paste into Umbraco.  As I continue the site development in Umbraco I find i need new styles and rather than hand code them i have to go back to VS create the styles (one becomes accustomed to intelisense!) and cut and paste, if i need to do this a lot it becomes slightly tedious...

I've tried opening the umbraco install within VS and I cannot access the CSS files directly.  Am i doing something wrong or is there a better way to manage the flow of work?

S

• Simon Kibsgård 62 posts 73 karma points
    Oct 18, 2011 @ 14:02
    Simon Kibsgård

Hi Stephen, there are several guides for having the whole umbraco installation inside VS:

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/7564-setting-up-Visual-Studio-to-work-with-Umbraco

http://simoninc.dk/post/1179288852/setting-up-umbraco-in-visual-studio (my own is a bit old, but should work for most parts)

As a quick solution, you could just open css files from /css and save them with VS - no need to do any editing inside umbraco cms UI.

Best regards, Simon

• Rodion Novoselov 694 posts 859 karma points
    Oct 18, 2011 @ 14:15
    Rodion Novoselov

Hi. In addition if you have a local development copy of your site you can always just open it in VS as a site (File -> Open -> Web Site).

Oct 18, 2011 @ 15:48
    Stephen

I thought i could do that but whenever i try to save the CSS its saying access is denied...

Oct 18, 2011 @ 15:55
    Rodion Novoselov

What permissions to the CSS file do your account (the account you log in to the system) have? When you modify your CSS via the web UI it opens the css file with the account of your web application (the app pool account), whereas when you open your css file directly you use your own account - it can simply lack the permissions required .

Oct 19, 2011 @ 12:56
    Stephen

thanks guys turns out it was a permission thing...all sorted now, I'm simply opening umbraco install folder as a website withing VS2010, can i still use Source Safe working this way?

Cheers,

S

Oct 19, 2011 @ 13:07
    Rodion Novoselov

Definitely, you can put any file (like css, cshtml, master pages and so on) under your favourite source control system, however, the problem with development for umbraco is that there's a good deal of stuff that's stored outside the filesystem in the database (document types, macro definitions etc). I haven't yet seen any ready out-of-the-box solution to maintain those, so if you want to source-controlling everything you will need to develop your own strategy of doing this (e.g. exporting to sql or xml files and like that).

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft