Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• josh 1 post 1 karma points
    Jun 24, 2009 @ 17:46
    josh

Trying to run umbraco - loading image continually shows

Ok, so I am trying to install umbraco on my local machine.  I am using the latest version (4.0.2 i think).  I am also using windows xp and connection the site to a sql 2005 box.  I go through all the installation steps, and when i click on the link to load the site, i get a page with a create button, a search box, an about button, a help button, and a logout button.  Then below that i get a "loading image".  It continually shows and will not go away.  Any thoughts?

• rorythecheese 110 posts 56 karma points
    Jun 24, 2009 @ 18:36
    rorythecheese

This happened to me once, think i just replaced the /umbraco and /umbraco_client folders and it worked. Never figured out what went wrong.  

• Philip Nawrocki 7 posts 20 karma points
    Jul 27, 2009 @ 23:40
    Philip Nawrocki

Did you copy the files over straight-away or re-install them?

I have this issue too, but tried your solution rorythecheese and now I dont see anything. I am receiving errors.

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Jul 27, 2009 @ 23:44
    Douglas Robar

I would guess this is related to file permissions. Since this is an XP box, you want to give the ASPNET user permissions to the files on your website. You'll never use this machine as a production server so the easy thing to do is grant Full Permission to the ASPNET user for the entire website, replacing permissions on files. On a production server I wouldn't open it up so much but it's fine for a dev box.

More info at: http://umbraco.org/documentation/books/install-umbraco-30-on-windows-xp/configure-iis

If this doesn't resolve the issue, have a look with firebug or fiddler to see what file(s) are not loading.

Let us know what you find out.

cheers,
    doug.

Jul 29, 2009 @ 18:13
    Philip Nawrocki

Thanks for the idea Doug.

I reinstalled Umbraco and made sure to change the aspnet user permissions per the link.

I am still receiving the same thing as Josh posted initially.

I did notice there is a error icon in the bottom left of my IE bar.

Line 62

Char 1

Error: 'WebFXLoadTree' is undefined

Code: 0

URL: http://localhost:86/umbraco/TreeInit.aspx

but after I view the message and click ok, it goes away.

I have tried accessing the admin on the server and on a local machine.

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Jul 30, 2009 @ 03:03
    Douglas Robar

Whenever I see a javascript error in the browser I immediately think, "permissions problem". 99 out of 100 times it is permissions. I know you said you checked the permissions but I really think that's the issue. If you run firebug or fiddler you should be able to find the file(s) that are not being loaded and are thus giving you js error(s). Go check those file's permissions.

If you're on XP, you want to give the ASPNET user modify permissions. If on Vista, Win7, Win2003, Win2008 you want to use the Network Service user (or whatever users 'owns' the application pool for the website).

Let us know what you find out.

cheers,
    doug.

• Roel Snetselaar 151 posts 305 karma points
    Jul 30, 2009 @ 08:03
    Roel Snetselaar

Seems like somehow the javascripts does not get loaded. The method "WebLoadFxTree" is located in /umbraco/js/xloadtree.js

I would do this:

- Check your web.config, is "umbracoPath" set to "/umbraco"? or did someone changed it? (You should be able to change the name of the backoffice folder, but if you only change the umbracoPath config setting and the foldername itself it doesn't work by default unfortunately, at least I did not have success. I encountered the same probleming when trying to change the name of the umbraco folder)

- Try running httpWatch on your client, make it record, open up the backoffice and check if yourdomain.com/umbraco/js/xloadtree.js is loaded.

- Try running FileMon or ProcMon (for windows server 2008), make it record on the server, open up the backoffice again and check if it comes up with any permission errors.

Hope this helps...

Aug 03, 2009 @ 20:48
    Philip Nawrocki

@ Doug. I have a 2003 machine and I have granted all permissions to NETWORK_SERVICE. Thank you for the suggetion of fiddler!!!! I could see what files were not loading. I have never used a program like this, but it seems invaluable.

@ Roel. The umbracoPath is set to /umbraco

@Doug and Roel. So it seems my zip extraction did not work correctly. No .js files were extracted onto my server. I used the Win 2003 extractor. Looks like .js files are an issue for it as I tried extracting them again and still no luck. I guess I will need WinZip or WinRAR for the future.

I used fiddler to see the .js files that were not loading and manually copied them into the folders that needed them.

umbraco\js
    umbraco_client\ui

had many .js files in them.

I can now see the backend of Umbraco!

Thanks to all for your assistance!

• Vidyarth 7 posts 25 karma points
    Aug 05, 2009 @ 09:23
    Vidyarth

Hi everyone.. All my js files are present and I dont get any JS errors. But I still have the same problem as above. Could I get any other ny other pointers?

• Peter Dijksterhuis 1442 posts 1722 karma points
    Aug 05, 2009 @ 09:25
    Peter Dijksterhuis

please check if all files all loaded correctly to the server. (check and double-check the umbraco and the umbraco-client folders in particular).

After that, check and double-check the file-permissions.

I think the problem is with one (or both) of the above.

Aug 05, 2009 @ 09:34
    Vidyarth

Here is more information on what I am trying to do.

I just set up a new Vista System with IIS 7 setup. I installed umbraco to my localhost and I was expecting that I could use it, but I get the loading image continuously. I checked all the files  and they were all present. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Vidyarth

Aug 05, 2009 @ 09:41
    Vidyarth

I have checked the permissions as well as the files. Everything seems to be in place. Network Service has access to the whole of wwwroot. All files in umbraco and umbraco_client are the same as the ones provided. But it still doesnt work.. :(

• Peter Dijksterhuis 1442 posts 1722 karma points
    Aug 05, 2009 @ 09:50
    Peter Dijksterhuis

You could try to give 'Everyone' full permission (remember to replace permissions on child-objects). If it is a vista-box, there's not much harm in doing that. Check how it loads then. 

Aug 06, 2009 @ 07:44
    Vidyarth

Thanks Peter. I installed a clean version of umbraco and everything works fine.

Regards

Vidyarth

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft