Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• aaronb 97 posts 116 karma points
    Oct 24, 2011 @ 00:10
    aaronb

Configuration problems on multiple sites under one install

I've read a couple of the guides on here on how to get this working, but I'm still stuck. I am wondering if it's because my shared hosting doesn't give me full access to everything (I'm not sure about the bindings). Really hoping someone more knowledgeable can give me some suggestions.

What I'm trying to accomplish is this:

mydomain.com (main site, has top level folder in umbraco) 

sub.mydomain.com (separate site, has top level folder in umbraco)

sub2.mydomain.com (and so on, with more sites)

So far I have assigned a hostname to the folder I want to be the root of sub.mydomain.com inside umbraco.

I have set "useDomainPrefixes" to true in the umbraco.config.

Where I am running into problems is how to configure the server-side stuff using websitepanel. I'm hosting with softsys and have tried combinations of creating a subdomain (created folders in my site directory, not ideal) or a domain alias. The closest I got was I'd type in sub.mydomain.com and it'd pull up mydomain.com's main page. Anything else has resulted in the default IIS screen.

I believe the term might be something to do with 'bindings' but does anyone know if I can modify these myself or if I'd need to get the host to manually add these to IIS?

thanks a ton for any help.

Oct 24, 2011 @ 00:43
    aaronb

I should have also mentioned that the domain is hosted with godaddy. I see the option in there too to 'forward subdomains' but I'm in over my head now.

• wolulcmit 357 posts 693 karma points
    Oct 24, 2011 @ 11:43
    wolulcmit

Shit this is a tough one because I'm not familiar with your host, but it sounds as though you need to set up domain aliases for your subdomains in the websitepanel you're refrerring to on softsys.

you need to get to a situation where if you hit mydomain.com, sub2.mydomain.com, sub3.mydomain.com etc. then the're all loading your top level website or node.

then it should just be a case of right-clicking the top level nodes and choosing manage hostnames. so that you can catch the appropriate subdomain for each site that you've set up.

this blogpost may help you
    http://blog.benpowell.co.uk/2010/06/multiple-sites-under-single-umbraco.html

I hope it gives you a foot in the right direction at least....

- Tim

Oct 24, 2011 @ 14:23
    aaronb

Thanks for the link, that definitely helped explain what's going on. It now seems to be working which is a massive milestone. thanks ever so much for the help Tim

• wolulcmit 357 posts 693 karma points
    Oct 24, 2011 @ 14:27
    wolulcmit

Hi Aaron, woohoo! result. I wasnt sure if I was being much help, so I'm glad to hear you sorted it!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft