Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Stephen 204 posts 246 karma points
    Nov 02, 2011 @ 20:27
    Stephen

Copying a site to a fresh umbraco install

I have completed a site for a client(4.7), and a new client would like something similar, is their an easy way to copy what I've done into a new fresh installation of umbraco (4.7.1) and just edit the templates?

Cheers,

S

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Nov 02, 2011 @ 22:49
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Stephen

If it's a simple site you have made you could just create a package from within the developer section where you choose the templates, document types and possible datatypes that you will need in your new site.

Files like CSS and JavaScript I would just copy from the disk.

You could also script the database from your current site and import it into a clean db and then copy all the files from the disk.

In the future I think you could benefit from making your own Umbraco base where you setup the basic document types, attach some templates to them create a content structure etc. and then simply have this site as a starting point for every project so you avoid doing stuff all over again each time you start a new project :)

Hope these pointers help a bit.

/Jan

Nov 07, 2011 @ 21:10
    Stephen

Hey Jan,  thanks for the feedback, sorry it took so long to thank you for your detailed reply.  Never created a package so going to give that a try tonight.

Cheers,

Stephen

Nov 07, 2011 @ 22:11
    Stephen

Continually getting this error when i try to install my newly created package....

Could not find datatype with id 5e9b75ae-face-41c8-b47e-5f4b0fd82f83

Is there a way to find out what that Datatype is?

Cheers,

S

• Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Nov 08, 2011 @ 12:18
    Tim

Hi Stephen,

If you open up your database, open up a new query window, and use the following query to list all datatypes and guids:

SELECT TOP 1000 [pk], [nodeId], [controlId], [dbType], [text]
    FROM cmsDataType
    inner join umbracoNode ON cmsDataType.nodeId = umbracoNode.id
    order by text

To find your missing control, add a where clause to filter on the "controlId" column. Hope that helps!

:)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft