Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Eugene 1 post 21 karma points
    Nov 07, 2011 @ 02:39
    Eugene

Preferred setup for development with Visual Studio

Sorry if this was already asked, I've tried to search the forum, and while it gives some ideas - there's no definite answer (maybe because there isn't one at all).

We're starting new web site development with Umbraco, and having some difficulties with optimal setup for multiple developers.

Right now we have a complete umbraco install in a code (VS project) directory, with (local) IIS pointing to it as well, and a local DB for each developer. Once developer wants to commit, he will commit source code to Git, and use Courier to push changes to central dev server. Other developers will have to update their code and db content.

This setup allows to debug from Visual Studio (using F5), instead of attaching to a w3p, which is annoying. Separate db is a part I don't really like, I'd prefer a shared one, but with Umbraco's caching model (in xml file) this isn't optimal either - changes to data types etc are not reflected in other developer's environments. This does mean, however, that sharing changes among developers is a 2-stage process - Git + Courier.

Other suggested routes I've seen is to use xcopy to a local (to dev's machine) on build, but it's not really different from what we use.

Anyhow, my main question at this point is how to share db content between multiple developers in optimal way, so that when developer creates new data type or macro it' becomes visible to other developers. Any other hints would be greatly appreciated too - like I said, we're newbies at this.

Thanks !

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft