Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• James Drever 118 posts 149 karma points
    Nov 07, 2011 @ 18:14
    James Drever

examine 1.3 not creating indexes

I've just updated examine in Umbraco to 1.3, to get the improved indexing performance.  I've deleted the existing folder structure in \app_data\temp\ExamineIndexes as per the documentation on http://examine.codeplex.com/  But while the folder structure is being recreated on an app recycle, and while no errors are generated in umbraco_log, no indexes are actually created (apart strangely from the internal member index).  I'm using 2 custom indexes in addition to internal & internal member.  Has anyone else see this behaviour - without error messages its a bit hard to troubleshoot! 

• Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Nov 08, 2011 @ 12:25
    Tim

Is it a permissions error? Check that the account the site is running under can read write and modify to the path you've got your indexes in.

Another thing to check is that the indexers and searchers refer to each other correctly in the config files. I believe they're case sensitive and I had an error like this a while back where the casing was wrong on one of the indexers so it didn't generate the indexes.

You can also try checking the windows application logs to see if anything is being logged there!

Hope that helps!

Nov 08, 2011 @ 12:58
    James Drever

Thanks Tim!  Don't think its permissions/config, because the indexing was working fine on Examine 1.2, and having rolled back to 1.2, its working again.  But really keen to get 1.3 working, to get a speedier start up after an app pool recycle!  Not sure what has changed between 1.2 and 1.3.  Also tried republishing the site, but that doesn't sort it.

• Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Nov 08, 2011 @ 13:04
    Tim

Wierd, the only issue I had upgrading from 1.2 to 1.3 was that I had to delete the existing index files, otherwise I got indexing errors when it tried to add new content to the indexes.

Did you upload all of the examine and umbracoexamine dlls when you did the upgrade?

Nov 08, 2011 @ 13:07
    James Drever

Yep!  Double-checked that! Its a strange one, and as I say, with no error message to help diagnose, its not easy to sort.  I'm wondering if the upcoming 4.7.1.1 release of Umbraco will include v1.3 of Examine.

• Craig Cronin 304 posts 503 karma points
    Nov 09, 2011 @ 23:02
    Craig Cronin

Hi James,

Not sure if it helps but I have been running a website 4.7.0 and a couple of days ago my index stopped working, i tried for hours and deleted the base indexes but it wasn't even creating the folder structure.  I went to codeplex and copied down version 1.3 but still no joy.

Finally i deleted the base index folders and my custom index folders and i was gutted after spending about 4 hours looking at this, I rebooted my server to make sure and it worked.

The config files hadn't changed.

Nov 10, 2011 @ 08:05
    James Drever

Hi Craig,

that's all a bit strange - and didn't you get any entries in umbracoLog either when the indexing stopped working?  When you got it back up and running after the reboot, was it with 1.3?  (I have tried a server reboot, but without success in my case).

For info: Checked with HQ and it doesn't look like 4.7.1.1 will include Examine 1.3

James.

Nov 10, 2011 @ 17:21
    Craig Cronin

Hi James, I checked the umbracoLog and this didn't contain any errors.  I deleted my custom indexes and refreshed the app pool and this didnt work either.  Finally i tried deleted the standard index folders and my custom index folders and I rebooted the server because it had nearly defeated me.  The site is on http://theworks.soluswebdesign.co.uk and search works fine now

Nov 11, 2011 @ 10:16
    James Drever

Hi Craig,

Thanks - but I think this one has defeated me.  I gave it one last try - stopped IIS, deleted both the inbuilt indexes and my custom ones, copied in the 1.3 examine dlls, restarted the server.. But getting exactly the same result - all the examine folders are created, but no actual index, nothing be queued.

Hmmm.

James.

Nov 11, 2011 @ 11:21
    Craig Cronin

Sorry i didnt help James,  i was gutted last week, I really thought I would have to rebuild the whole site.  I've got the day off work today and I'm working on another site and I'm currently the search functionality....all ok so!!!!

Nov 11, 2011 @ 12:38
    James Drever

OK, so I don't quite believe or understand this, but since I rebooted the server earlier this morning, and saw no indexes being generated, I've been to a meeting, had some coffee, come back and I now have indexes.  I have changed nothing whatsoever.  I am feeling both nervous (having no idea what has resolved the problem) and relieved!  Having got dev working, I'll now very cautiously try staging.

Key to Examine problems looks like going away and having a coffee!  Very possibly it also applies to non-Examine problems!

Craig & Tim, you both deserve a High Five for just encouraging me to perserve - thanks!

Nov 11, 2011 @ 13:09
    Craig Cronin

Congratulations.....funny that you said this but thinking back, once I had deleted all indexes and rebooted my server it took a couple of minutes for my indexes to built.  Initially when I tried it came back with a different error, then a couple of minutes later all was working.  Darren Ferguson wrote a nice little package that allows you to monitor your indexes which I have now installed.  Happy Days!!!!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft