Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Steve Charles 1 post 21 karma points
    Nov 08, 2011 @ 17:45
    Steve Charles

Database connection initialisation failed. V4.7.1

Trying to install Umbraco... windows 7... MS Sql Server, etc...

keep getting to the database install and after making sure all connection information is correction I still get "Database connection initialisation failed."

This is getting very annoying. I have read all the other threads and have checked folder permissions,etc. It is writing the correct connection string to the webconfig of the new site, but still is telling me it cannot connect.  Here is the connection string it's writing to the web.config:

<add key="umbracoDbDSN" value="server=sqlservernamehere;database=UmbracoTestSteve;user id=UmbracoTestSteve;password=mypasswordhere" />

I followed the Umbraco installation instructions and used the Web Platform Installer.

What is wrong!?!?!?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Nov 08, 2011 @ 21:02
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Steve

Are you sure the permissions in the DB are correct? Does the DB user have the correct permissions to create tables etc.?

/Jan

• Jules 274 posts 585 karma points
    Nov 09, 2011 @ 00:22
    Jules

Hi

The db user needs to have public, db_owner, db_datareader, and db_datawriter permissions.

Apart from this, double check the userid and password.

Good luck

JG

• Flemming Christensen 2 posts 22 karma points
    Nov 10, 2011 @ 19:19
    Flemming Christensen

I'm having exactly the same problem:

I'm trying to install Umbraco v 4.7.1 using a local sqlexpress server (CODEC\SQLEXPRESS)

I'm SURE the username/password provide can login to the database.
    Port 1433 is open and listening
    Network Service has write access to all folders and files.
    Network Servece has been added with a Login to sqlexpress and with the sysadmin role.
    But no matter what I do I get: "Database connection initialisation failed."  everytime I get to step 3 and try to connect.

I have tried a special user whith public, db_owner, dbreader, dbwriter permissions
    I have tried with the sa user !!! 

What can I do .. I need to this yesterday :)

/Flemming

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Nov 10, 2011 @ 19:57
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Flemming

You mention the network service - how about the iusr? This user needs permissions as well.

/Jan

Nov 10, 2011 @ 21:06
    Jules

In fact just thought of the glaring omission - Mixed mode authentication on the sql server.

The sql server itself must be set to mixed mode ie Sql Server and Windows authentication.

Right click the Sql Server root - choose Properties > Security - you will find it there.

After setting it you will need to stop and restart the service - I think you can right click in the same place again to do that.

I bet it will work then :-)

Julian

Nov 10, 2011 @ 21:10
    Jules

Additionally I dont think network service would work in this instance as I believe the connection is set to use sql server login and not windows

J

• Flemming Christensen 2 posts 22 karma points
    Nov 10, 2011 @ 23:45
    Flemming Christensen

The soultion was to use the sa user using installation, and to change user back to local login user for the database in the web.config afterwards.

Don't know why, because the local user should have had all necessary permissions, but now it works .. :)

IIS server runs with Network Service user, thats why it needs access

Nov 11, 2011 @ 00:44
    Jules

Oh are you using integrated security in the connection string?

Glad you got it sorted.

J

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft