Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kyle Skrinak 272 posts 327 karma points
    Jun 26, 2009 @ 11:23
    Kyle Skrinak

vmware appliance for umbraco?

vmware offers appliance packages. One can download an appliance and get an installed OS that is configured for a specific purpose. This allows you to try out installed software without the hassle of installation.

I presume it's not possible due to MS licensing, but it sure would be nice if there was a VMware appliance for umbraco. Drupal, Joomla, Wordpress have one, Dot Net Nuke doesn't. Is it possible?

• Morten Bock 1867 posts 2140 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jun 26, 2009 @ 13:17
    Morten Bock

Well, I can see that it is possible to get one with a Windows 2003 server for evaluation, so maybe it could be done. It's a good idea that could get people started out fast if they have an existing vmware park.

• Simon Dingley 1474 posts 3431 karma points c-trib
    Jun 26, 2009 @ 13:44
    Simon Dingley

Darren Ferguson offers trials via his site which may be more appropriate if they are looking to test drive Umbraco:

http://autoumbraco.darren-ferguson.com/

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Jun 26, 2009 @ 14:01
    Aaron Powell

You'd have to look into the licensing of Windows for the VMWare Appliances.

WebPI does make it really easy to set up a new database none the less, it's how I install all the time now

Jun 26, 2009 @ 17:20
    Kyle Skrinak

Wow -- I feel like a kid in a candy shop.

One of the things I like about LAMP-based CMS's is that, licensing-wise, they're free, so I can get as sandy as I want in multiple disposable sandboxes. I wish MS would offer a compelling counter-offer to this.

Never heard of WebPI -- cool!

I didn't know I could run an instance of Win2003 Server for 30 days, more coolness

I appreciate darren giving a way bandwidth, storage and processing cycles for free, but I'd like to toy on my own hardware.

Much info -- thanks!

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Jun 26, 2009 @ 18:21
    Aaron Powell

If you aren't familiar with WebPI I suggest you check out Paul Sterlings blog on how to use it: http://www.motusconnect.com/blog/2009/4/29/installing-umbraco-using-the-web-platform-installer

Jun 26, 2009 @ 18:48
    Kyle Skrinak

More candy -- this is a very nice vidcast -- there's countless beginner/installation questions I see on the forums that this WebPI would help with.

Thanks! Kyle

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft