Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at


  • mike 4 posts 24 karma points
    Nov 11, 2011 @ 15:19
    mike
    0

    404 error after fresh install and publish

    i am completely new to umbraco.  i just installed a fresh install of 4.7.1 on godaddy with IIS 7 and MSSQL 2008.  everything "seems" to be working, no errors, but when i publish even the sample articles and try to go to the site, i get a 404 error.

    the back-end part works fine, so it would seem that the asp.net and hosting is all configured correctly.

    any ideas?

  • Jan Skovgaard 11244 posts 23439 karma points MVP 6x admin c-trib
    Nov 11, 2011 @ 17:51
    Jan Skovgaard
    0

    Hi Mike

    Have you used some kind of starter package as a foundation for your site?

    /Jan

  • mike 4 posts 24 karma points
    Nov 13, 2011 @ 16:58
    mike
    0

    during setup, i chose the business package...

  • jc 64 posts 100 karma points
    Nov 13, 2011 @ 17:58
    jc
    0

    Mike, I just did a fresh install and chose the business package with no skin. The admin worked fine but none of the content seemed published. Opening a page in the admin and clicking on the properties tab showed the "Link to document" as "#". I went back to the root of the site which started the installer again. It put me through the first few steps then it skipped to the end. After that all the pages worked fine.

  • mike 4 posts 24 karma points
    Nov 14, 2011 @ 15:41
    mike
    0

    in mine, the "link to document" has what looks like a correct url, but it does have an "!" in there, not sure if that's an issue.  i can't get the installer to work again, the root site gives me a 404 error, the /install site gives me a 404 error.  everything is 404 errors except for "/umbraco/umbraco.aspx"

  • Bob LoCicero 13 posts 32 karma points
    May 23, 2012 @ 17:35
    Bob LoCicero
    0

    I have a 4.7 site on umbraco and it works okay, with the exception that I have been getting 404 errors from *some* location when I first make a post.

    I believe that the problem is due to some form of replication that must be going on. Since Umbraco relies on a static Xml file for content, I think what is happening is there is a delay between posting and the umbraco.config file being replicated. It's very frustrating, because I'll send someone a link and it may or may not work -- even though it works fine for me. It all depends on what server they get in the web farm.

    This is main speculation on my part, however, since I haven't been able to get a tech at GoDaddy who seems to understand both Asp.Net and server configuration.Naturally, they're keen to say it's my issue and this "weird" content manager I'm using. #$@!.

    I'd be very interested to hear if others have experience similar symptoms.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft