Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Brent 4 posts 24 karma points
    Nov 14, 2011 @ 18:36
    Brent

Moving my Wordpress sites to Umbraco

I'm just starting out with Umbraco and I'm trying to figure out what is the most efficient way to move my web sites that are currently using Wordpress. I only have 5 sites to convert but still enough so that I'd like to get this process figured out. All the sites have been built using ElegantThemes on Wordpress of which I have a license and purchased the version that includes the PSD files. I also have Microsoft Expression and Adobe Dreamweaver.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

thx,

• Darren Ferguson 1022 posts 3259 karma points MVP c-trib
    Nov 14, 2011 @ 23:08
    Darren Ferguson

Maybe have a look at CMS Import http://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/cmsimport

I don't know if it does RSS out of the box but if not you can always write a custom data adapter.

Richard - the author - may be able to help you out.

Nov 15, 2011 @ 06:12
    Brent

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the reply. I realized after I created this discussion item that I wasn't clear about what I wanted to convert. I tried to edit this post but received arrors with this forum software.

Anyways I'm not really looking for a way to convert the data. I purchased the themes from ElegantThemes and I'm trying to determine the best way to pull the theme assets into Umbraco. These are Wordpress themes.

• Richard Soeteman 4045 posts 12898 karma points MVP 2x
    Nov 15, 2011 @ 08:21
    Richard Soeteman

At the end the rendered wordpress themes are just HTML. Just pick that and replace the rendered content with  document type items and Macro's. As Darren mentioned I've created CMSImport. If you want to you can export your blogposts including comments from your Wordpress site and import them into Umbraco using CMSImport PRO version.

Cheers,

Richard

Nov 15, 2011 @ 15:42
    Brent

yes that's true. The rendered page is just html. I was thinking there might be some unique workflow to pull this all into Umbraco including all the CSS and images and placement into the correct folders. One of the reason I picked Umbraco over all the other CMSs is because it gets out of the way and doesn't seem to impose a lot of it's own structure on the developer. I'll just pull all the elements I need into Umbraco manually.

That bring me to a related question though. I'm a long time .Net developer that hasn't worked in HTML before and has no art skills. I can sure recognize nice designs when I see them. I just can't seem to create them from scratch. That's why I initially thought Wordpress be the best CMS for me because of all the excellent quality templates available at places such as ElegantThemes or WooThemes. I suppose for the best route to creating a site would to first select an nice HTML theme from somewhere like TemplateMonster and then replace the static HTML with Razor scripts inside Umbraco.

Does this sound like a reasonable workflow or is there a better way?

Nov 15, 2011 @ 17:10
    Richard Soeteman

Yep go with an HTML template you like and implement that in Umbraco. This is how I do it.

• Damian Green 452 posts 1433 karma points
    Jan 19, 2012 @ 19:56
    Damian Green

Dont know if you are still on with this but im sure ive read that somone had developed (or started)a Wordpress Hive provider for Wordpress - which is like a data provider from what ive gathered so far.

See here...

http://www.screenr.com/g70s

• James Hayward 17 posts 37 karma points
    Feb 28, 2014 @ 06:32
    James Hayward

Crossroads... how difficult is the process in moving the blog content from wordpress into umbraco? My developers who have building the new site haven't been the most helpful in fact vague on the topic.

would be moving from http://www.littlenomads.com into simple blog format on our new site being developed..

Feb 28, 2014 @ 06:39
    Richard Soeteman

Hi James,

If you use the uBlogsy package for your Umbraco environment then you already have a simple blog. Then you can use the CMSImport tool I wrote to import data from Wordpress. This requires that you export the data from your Wordpress envrionment to XML and you can download an additional Provider for CMSImport to import that xml file directly.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Richard

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft