Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Frederik T 234 posts 345 karma points
    Nov 16, 2011 @ 23:49
    Frederik T

Any experience with hosting umbraco at surftown.dk?

Well i hope this is the appropriate forum to ask this, so here goes:

Im looking at having a small hobby umbraco site hosted at surftown, since they offer cheap windows server hosting. Since i heard that umbraco "COULD" have a bit of trouble with having full rights (or whats-its-name) with various hosting companies i decided to search around for other peoples experience.

The problem is, the only information i could find was either outdated or about very old umbraco versions (.NET 2.0).

So, is there anyone who have a new 4.7+ umbraco installation hosted at surftown right now? Any experience they want to share?

• Anders Burla 2560 posts 8256 karma points
    Nov 17, 2011 @ 00:45
    Anders Burla

Hi Frederik

I dont know about the Medium Trust part and how umbraco handles that and how surftown does - but have heard from others that uno euro should be a good and cheap place for small umbraco sites - http://www.unoeuro.com/products.php

Here is some info about umbraco 4.5+ and medium trust - http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/medium-trust-with-umbraco-45plus

• Bjarne Fyrstenborg 1280 posts 3990 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Nov 17, 2011 @ 01:13
    Bjarne Fyrstenborg

Hi Frederik

I have a couple of sites with v. 4.7.x hosted by Surftown, which works fine... on their old servers with IIS6 and .NET 3.5 I used the link to set the right permissions: https://surftown.dk/support/hvordan-tilfojer-jeg-skriverettigheder-aspnet ... but it doesn't work on their new servers with IIS7 and .NET 4.0 ... I'm not sure I did anything beside uploading the Umbraco files to ftp and then went throgh the installation steps without any problems..

But if you need to change the permissions,, you must contact their support and have them to do it for you..

If you have a webhotel on their old servers with .NET 3.5 you can contact them to upgrading it to .NET 4.0 if you want.. as I remember it was done within 24 hours..

Bjarne

Nov 17, 2011 @ 10:07
    Frederik T

Thanks for the replies, makes me a bit more easy. Think i will go for surftown. If anyone else has any experience, information they would like to share please do so, because i wont sign up until tomorrow anyway.

• Chriztian Steinmeier 2798 posts 8787 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Nov 17, 2011 @ 10:46
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Hi Frederik,

I've only tried a single Umbraco site at Surftown, but that had so many problems, ranging from slow response time to not responding at all. Finally decided to ditch it and try Unoeuro.

Now I may have caught Surftown at a bad time (but I had the site for a year and never got to a point where I could just use it and not have some intermittent problem).

Unoeuro, on the other hand, has a first class system that works great. I can literally push an Umbraco site to their servers within half an hour, including buying, getting the e-mail with server info, downloading Umbraco, uploading files etc. The Admin panel is top-notch, too which, I can not say about Surftown's (again, they may have changed some things since I used them).

Please consider revisiting this thread in a month or two when you've had some experience with either, so others can get up-to-date info.

/Chriztian

Nov 17, 2011 @ 10:56
    Frederik T

Ok i will research unoeuro a bit more, i would just prefer surftown because i want something "local". But if it really has problems, well i dont know. It just seemed more tempting considering they have a really cheap hosting offer right now.

EDIT: Unoeuro doesnt look to bad either, just a few extra start up expenses (for example, i really want to use MSSQL server as my education was focused on that, its more familiar), whereas options like that are free in surftown. But the monthly fee is cheaper. Gargh.... I dont know. I will give it some more thought.

• Rasmus Berntsen 215 posts 253 karma points c-trib
    Nov 25, 2011 @ 14:41
    Rasmus Berntsen

I have used UnoEuro for several personal sites too, and I did some courses with Umbraco, where the students tried to install it on UnoEuros server. It's really easy and works. And I think you get a lot for the money. I understand why you want MSSQL, but if you're only using the DB for hosting Umbraco, you don't really need to do any SQL, so it wouldn't matter if it was MySQL or MSSQL?

The control panel is good and the service has always been good. They even implemented a function that I requested through their helpdesk. :)

Hi5 to UnoEuro for a good and cheap service!

/Berntsen

• Andrew McDonald 8 posts 31 karma points
    Nov 25, 2011 @ 15:01
    Andrew McDonald

What I would avoid were ones using dotnetpanel, as they seem to be the ones I have issues with

I've used a lot of sites for companies but for a cheapie option discountasp.net were ok, with US or UK servers

If you're only using the DB for Umbraco you could keep your costs down by installing the SQL CE database with Umbraco, as this is an embedded database it will save you paying for a full Sql Server on shared hosting

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft