Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Phil Dye 149 posts 325 karma points
    Nov 18, 2011 @ 12:29
    Phil Dye

Load balancing file replication

What are folks using to perform file replication across load-balanced Umbraco instances (well, any website for that matter)?

I'm aware that using SAN storage is preferable, but that's not an option in the environment I'm using (Rackspace Cloud), so I need to replicate files across servers.

DFS is the "out of the box" solution, but i) there are possible latency issues, and ii) I don't want to run a full AD domain for my webservers.

Robocopy/etc will work on a scheduled basis, but that'll leave gaps in my filesystem content (eg media items) until the next sync happens.

Just interested to see how folks are doing this in practice...

Phil

• Anthony Dang 1404 posts 2558 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Nov 18, 2011 @ 12:43
    Anthony Dang

I assume you're talking about media?

You've just named the most common practices.

The best solution is SAN. 

Alternatively you could use a CDN.

@fastchicken on twitter can tell you about media on CDN

• Adam Shallcross 55 posts 211 karma points MVP c-trib
    Nov 18, 2011 @ 12:55
    Adam Shallcross

For one of our clients we used PeerSync to keep servers uptodate - http://www.peersoftware.com/products/peersync/peersync.aspx

We had a master Umraco instance and then when a file us updated, PeerSync listens out for the change and replicates that across as many servers as you have setup.  They used it in a cloud environment and had 5 servers I think.

Cheers

Nov 24, 2011 @ 12:34
    Phil Dye

For the record, I have this working now, using DeltaCopy (a Windows wrapper around rsync) running as a scheduled task on the media folder every minute.

It seems to work in testing, although I'm not entirely enthusiastic about this approach as it means only one server can run the backoffice, and that leads to a mess of URLRewrite rules to stop duplicate content problems when using www1/www2 hostnames.

I'd much prefer SAN and just have both IIS instances pointing to the same place, but we have to work with what we have...

Dec 02, 2011 @ 13:30
    Phil Dye

Just updating this a week on, I've since switched to using Unison for the file synchronisation - it's a bit messy to use as it's a command line thing with Unix roots, but importantly it offers two-way sync, meaning I can dispose with the URLRewrite stuff, as changes can be made from either server now.

• Mitch Olinsky 31 posts 51 karma points
    Jan 05, 2012 @ 17:09
    Mitch Olinsky

I created some code that creates a text file whenever changes are published.  Then, I have a batch script that checks for that file every 15 seconds.  If found, it triggers an FTPsync.

Unfortunetlly, something about FTPsync occasionally brings down the servers.  I'm looking for something else to do the job.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft