Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jennifer Belmont 5 posts 25 karma points
    Nov 18, 2011 @ 15:50
    Jennifer Belmont

Cannot get Umbraco to install in IIS without Web Matrix?

Our company has decided to use Umbraco for their intranet.  I have been testing deployment of Umbraco and have had a few successful installs when also installing Web Matrix at the same time.  When it is done, it allows me to open up the install page (Welcome to the Umbraco installation) for Umbraco where you select the 'Let's get started!' button to begin by accepting the license agreement.  BUT, when I choose not to install Web Matrix along with Umbraco and just want to install into IIS in the Web Platform Installer, 6 prerequisites load first and then the installer pops up a page that lists the prerequisites that were installed and has a 'Launch Umbraco CMS' link at the top of the box.  When I click on this link, the Welcome to the Umbraco installation page comes up with the Let's get started button, but when I click on the button, I get a web page that says: "The website declined to show this webpage - Most likely causes: This website requires you to log in."  At this point I am stuck and don't know how to finish the Umbraco installation.

Some background info is that I am installing on a clean VM running Windows 2003 R2 Standard with all updates applied and I install using the Web Platform Installer found at www.microsoft.com/web/umbraco .  We want this installed into IIS and not Web Matrix because of future development purposes.  Can anyone help me figure out what is going bad here?  Thank you.

• Michael Latouche 504 posts 819 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Nov 18, 2011 @ 17:33
    Michael Latouche

Hi Marc,

Did you already have a look at the installation guide here : http://umbraco.codeplex.com/Project/Download/FileDownload.aspx?DownloadId=197052 ?

In the manual install section, they mention some folder security that need to be set. If you did not set them already, it might be the cause of your problem.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Michael.

• jc 64 posts 101 karma points
    Nov 18, 2011 @ 17:40
    jc

I've always installed manually. Maybe you'll have better luck with that. My process is:

1. Download from http://umbraco.codeplex.com
    2. Extract to your web root (Note: some people have had issues extracting using the built in Windows functionality, you may have to use 7zip or WinRAR)
    3. Give Network Service full control access permission to this directory
    4. Create a new, empty database in SQL Server
    5. Create a new web site in IIS and point it to the directory in step 2
    6. Make sure the application pool is set to .NET 4 Integrated
    7. Browse to your web site and go through the install process

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft