Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Patrik 10 posts 30 karma points
    Nov 20, 2011 @ 04:22
    Patrik

Guide for moving from dev to production

Hi. I realize there are a few forum entries that are similar to this, but have yet to find one with my specific question.

I recently began fiddling with Umbraco - a few days or so ago. So far I've figured out or asked my way to a solution to my problems. Now I need to move the development server to a client server. So, how do I do this?

I have googled but I can not find a guide on how to do it. 

• skiltz 501 posts 701 karma points
    Nov 20, 2011 @ 04:55
    skiltz

Copy all files from Dev Server to Production Server

Makre sure file permissions are correct.

Backup database on Dev Server restore on Production Server

Update web.config connectionstring

Done.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Nov 20, 2011 @ 16:18
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Patrick

I'd just like to add that you could also look into using Courier for deployment. There are some blogposts with a lot information about it here: http://umbraco.com/follow-us.aspx

/Jan

Nov 30, 2011 @ 11:12
    Patrik

@Jan Skovgaard
    Using Courier, do I simply install Umbraco with Courier on the production server, then simply set up courier to accept connections from the dev server? Coz' that'd be a lot easier than any other scenario I've thought up :)

And, I could then have a development environment completely separate from the production server :)

• John 115 posts 150 karma points
    Nov 30, 2011 @ 12:48
    John

@Skiltz (is there a quote button here) 

Copy all files from Dev Server to Production Server
    Makre sure file permissions are correct.
    Backup database on Dev Server restore on Production Server
    Update web.config connectionstring
    Done.

Does that really work? My understanding is that there is lots of stuff that could be in the dev database that needs to be migrated to production too? For example, you create a document type...yoink that's in the dev database...(forgive me if I am wrong, I am a noob long time:))

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Nov 30, 2011 @ 12:51
    Dirk De Grave

Patrik: you need Courier on both machines, dev and production!

John, that's why a backup/restore action is all you need to get all database info to your production environment.

Cheers,

/Dirk

Nov 30, 2011 @ 13:03
    Patrik

@Dirk

Yes, of course I do.

I have now setup Courier on the dev machine, gotten my license and all. I will install Umbraco and Courier on the production machine in about a week. My license will work there as well, right? Since it's a by-domain license, correct?

Nov 30, 2011 @ 13:27
    Patrik

Courier has really screwed up on my development server...

Installation went fine. The fetching of the license went fine. After that I added the domain for which the site would be on when it goes live.
    However, the development site is run on ***.alienus.se, so the license went bad immediately. Now I can't see Locations, Revisions or Task Manager anymore. And, it has uninstalled the license and is not wishing to re-install it.

Just one day without hiccups would be sweeeeeet :-/

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft