Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Frank 1 post 21 karma points
    Nov 22, 2011 @ 15:46
    Frank

SQL issue on install

All day i've been trying to install Umbraco, but it keeps returning SQL errors.

My SQL knowledge is pretty narrow, but still i don't understand why i should get an error saying it cannot locate the SQL server and/or instance while i have selected the option to install SQL Server + create database.

So the installer installs SQL and a database but one or two screens further it cannot find these...

Is the standard .\sqlexpress path really correct? I tried changing this, but without any progress.

I am installing on a VM with full admin rights, so i don't really see the problem...

• Adi 17 posts 36 karma points
    Nov 22, 2011 @ 16:43
    Adi

There may be number of reasons, for me editing the web.config manually as below worked!

<add key="umbracoDbDSN" value="server=adin-pc\SQLEXPRESS;database=MYDB;user id=test;password=test" />

• Simon 81 posts 184 karma points
    Nov 23, 2011 @ 11:13
    Simon

What SQL have you got installed on your machine? Is it SQL Express or fully-fledged SQL Server? I've had this problem before and struggled. When you install SQL on your computer, it is given an instance name, this is so that you can have multiple instances of SQL running on the same computer (different versions etc.).

If you have SQL Server then try changing the .\sqlexpress to a single .

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft